Garda Síochána receives 20,000 applications for 300 positions
Application process reopened to new entrants last month for first time since 2009
Gardaí marching during their graduation ceremony at Templemore. There are now fewer than 13,100 gardai, almost 1,600 less than the peak levels of 14,600 just after the economy collapsed. Photograph: Brenda Fitzsimons
Around 20,000 people have applied for the 300 positions with An Garda Síochána since the force re-opened the application process for new recruits last month.
It is the first time people have been able to apply since a recruitment moratorium was introduced in 2009.
Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence Alan Shatter said he was “greatly encouraged by the positive response”.
“This is the first recruitment campaign to An Garda Síochána since 2009 and it is recognised by all as being a welcome and important development,” he said.
The closing date for applications, which can be submitted online through publicjobs.ie, is midnight on Thursday.
There are now fewer than 13,100 gardaí, almost 1,600 less than the peak levels of 14,600 just after the economy collapsed.