Ex-missionary order teachers charged with sex assaults on boys

Three to face court after sex abuse inquiry at Cork Missionaries of the Sacred Heart school

Three men
,
 who were all members of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart at the time of the alleged abuse
,
 were charged yesterday following a two-year investigation by gardaí
i
 into allegations of abuse at Colá
a
iste Chr
i
oí Naofa in Carrignavar,
 in
 Co Cork, when it operated as a boarding school. Photograph: Stephen Hird/Reuters

Three men , who were all members of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart at the time of the alleged abuse , were charged yesterday following a two-year investigation by gardaí i into allegations of abuse at Colá a iste Chr i oí Naofa in Carrignavar, in Co Cork, when it operated as a boarding school. Photograph: Stephen Hird/Reuters

Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 17:21

Three former teachers at a boarding school run by a missionary order in Co Cork have appeared in court charged with indecently assaulting a number of pupils at the school over a 20-year period from the late 1960s.

The three men, who were all members of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart at the time of the alleged abuse, were charged yesterday following a two-year investigation by gardaí into allegations of abuse at Coláiste Chroí Naofa in Carrignavar, Co Cork, when it operated as a boarding school.

The three, Donnacha MacCarthaigh (80), Tadhg Ó Dalaigh (69) and Liam O’Brien (66), were each charged separately when they appeared yesterday morning at Cork District Court before Judge Conal Gibbons.

Mr MacCarthaigh, a former principal at the school, now with an address c/o Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, Western Road, Cork, was charged with a total of 42 counts of indecent assault on 14 boys at Coláiste Chroí Naofa in Carrignavar on various dates between 1969 and 1989.

Sgt Anna Marie Guiney gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution in relation to Mr MacCarthaigh and told the court Mr MacCarthaigh made no reply to the first 41 charges when they were put to him after caution. In response to the final charge he had replied: “I am innocent of all those charges.”

Remand sought

Insp Mary King said the DPP had directed that Mr Mac Carthaigh be tried on indictment before a judge and jury at circuit court level and with consent, and she said she was seeking a remand until December 12th for preparation and service of the book of evidence on Mr MacCarthaigh.

Mr Ó Dalaigh, with an address at Mount Merrion Avenue, Blackrock, Dublin, was charged with two counts of indecent assault on two boys at Coláiste Chroí Naofa on various dates between 1979 and 1985.

Garda Gary Morris gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution in respect of Mr Ó Dalaigh and told the court Mr O’Dalaigh replied “I have nothing to say, Guard” when the two charges were put to him.

Insp King said the DPP had directed that Mr Ó Dalaigh be tried on indictment by a judge and jury at circuit court level and she applied to have him remanded with consent to appear on December 12th for preparation and service of the book of evidence.

Mr O’Brien, also with an address at Mount Merrion Avenue, Blackrock, Dublin was charged with one count of indecent assault on a boy at Coláiste Chroí Naofa on a date between 1985 and 1986.

Sgt Bill Daly gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution in relation to Mr O’Brien and told the court that Mr O’Brien had nothing to say after he charged him with the single charge earlier that morning at Anglesea Street, where he met him by appointment.

Insp King said the DPP had directed that Mr O’Brien’s case could be dealt with by way of summary disposal at district court level and she applied to have him remanded on his own bond of €500 to appear again at Cork District Court on December 12th.

Judge Gibbons remanded all three accused to appear at Cork District Court on December 12th and refused applications by defence solicitors, Dominic Creedon, Robert Eager and Michael Staines seeking a prohibition on identification of their clients.