Dublin murder suspect arrested in Antrim contests extradition
Gary Flynn accused of gangland killing of Seamus O’Byrne in Tallaght four years ago
Seamus O’Byrne (27) was gunned down in front of his girlfriend and infant son in the driveway of their Tymon Park North home in March 2009. Photograph: Bryan O’Brien/The Irish Times
A 29-year-old man arrested in Northern Ireland in connection with a gangland style murder in Dublin is to contest extradition proceedings, a court in Belfast was told.
Gary Flynn, from Dublin, had been subject to a European Arrest Warrant in relation to the shooting of father-of-two Seamus O’Byrne in Tallaght four years ago.
Mr O’Byrne (27) was gunned down in front of his girlfriend and infant son in the driveway of their Tymon Park North home in March 2009.
An extradition hearing in Belfast High Court heard that Mr Flynn was arrested by officers from the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) in Ballymoney, Co Antrim yesterday afternoon. It is understood he was detained in a car park in the town around 3pm.
Dressed in a white polo shirt, dark tracksuit bottoms and white trainers, shaven headed Mr Flynn did not speak during the brief court appearance before judge Patricia Smyth.
His lawyer Philip Breen told the court his client did not consent to being extradited to the Republic of Ireland.
Ms Smyth remanded the suspect in custody to appear again for a review hearing on Friday. It is understood Mr Flynn will make a bail application at that hearing.
Late last year, 35-year-old Garrett O’Brien, from Clover Hill in Bray, Co Wicklow, was found guilty at Dublin’s Central Criminal Court of Mr O’Byrne’s murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.