Two witnesses will not give evidence in murder trial, court hears

Sat, Dec 7, 2013, 09:25

Two witnesses will not be giving evidence in the trial of a Polish national accused of murdering a Romanian man by stabbing him to death in Co Cavan, the Central Criminal Court has heard.

Przemyslaw Trebacz (35) of Bramble Rise, Killynebber, Cavan has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Romanian Costel Catalin Cretu (38) at Connolly Court, Connolly Street, Cavan between October 13th and 14th, 2012.

Mr Trebacz has pleaded guilty to criminal damage to a door belonging to Brendan Cosgrove at Connolly Court on October 13th, 2012.


Guarding prostitutes
The court has heard that Mr Cretu was guarding two prostitutes in an apartment when it is alleged the incident took place.

Garda Karl McNabola told the court that when he arrived at Connolly Court there were two women and a male standing outside. He said he was taken to the first floor, that the main door to the apartment was damaged and he entered the living area.

Garda McNabola said he saw a man lying on the couch and noticed a stab wound to the man’s chest.


‘Whereabouts unknown’
He agreed with Paul Greene SC defending that he left one of the witnesses on the street.

He agreed the woman called “Strop”, who the court heard was also working as a prostitute, had been looked for extensively.

“Her whereabouts are unknown,” Garda McNabola told the court. He also said he believed a man the court heard got a previous witness, Florentina Sotir, a job as a prostitute, would not be coming to give evidence.

News - direct to your inbox

Which Daily Digest would you like?

Irish Times News