No bail for boy accused of stealing mobile phone

Woman whose phone was taken in Dublin was ‘left shaken’ and in fear

Judge John Lindsay:  denied bail to the teenager.

Judge John Lindsay: denied bail to the teenager.

Fri, Aug 15, 2014, 00:18

A 14-year-old boy, who allegedly injured a woman during a phone snatch in Dublin, has been refused bail.

The youth appeared at the Dublin Children’s Court following his arrest on Wednesday for mugging a woman, at Vincent Street West.

Det Garda Laura O’Brien objected to bail being granted to the boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother.

Det Garda O’Brien said the robbery was alleged to have happened at about 1.40pm when the woman had been using her mobile phone.

It was alleged the teenager passed her and “forcibly grabbed it out of her hand”, resulting in the woman suffering bruising and swelling around one of her eyes.

The woman was “left shaken and was in fear”.

A witness reported the incident to gardaí who found the teenager hiding in the grounds of a school and allegedly still in possession of the stolen phone.

The garda agreed with defence solicitor Kelly Breen that she was satisfied that she knew where the teen lived and directions from the DPP needed to be obtained.

However, the court also heard that gardaí had often found the teenager out in the middle of the night and they frequently dropped him home.

“I am aware his mother has issues controlling him,” Det Garda O’Brien told the court.

The youth’s mother pleaded for bail to be granted to her son who had been previously ordered to stay away from the location of the alleged robbery.

She said she had been trying to get her son to return to school and has managed to get him involved in a youth centre “to keep him off the streets”.

However, Judge John Lindsay denied bail to the teenager, who has not yet entered a plea. He was remanded in custody. The case will resume later this month.