Mother charged over gun handover on train further remanded
Court hears woman gave loaded gun to man at Connolly Station in Dublin city centre
Gardaí on the scene of the weapon seizure at Connolly Station in July. Photograph: Paddy Logue
A woman charged in connection with the handover of a loaded gun on a Dublin to Belfast train has been further remanded in custody.
Mother of one Nikita Murtagh (20) from Mariners Port, Sheriff Street, Dublin 1, is charged with unlawful possession of a CZ model 70 semi-automatic pistol, two rounds of 7.65 Browning calibre ammunition and a shotgun cartridge which were allegedly recovered by gardaí on the Dublin to Belfast train at Connolly Station on July 19th last.
A court order which had prevented reporters from identifying her was lifted last month following an application by the news media.
Ms Murtagh and a man, aged 23, also from Dublin’s north inner city, were arrested following an intelligence-led operation involving officers from the Garda National Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau.
She appeared again at Dublin District Court on Wednesday and was further remanded in custody by Judge Anthony Halpin for four weeks to allow the prosecution to complete a book of evidence.
Earlier it had been held that the case was too serious to be heard at district court level, meaning it will go to a higher court with tougher sentencing powers.
She was refused bail earlier.
The district court was told a man was approached by gardaí on the train while Ms Murtagh, who allegedly handed him a bag containing the gun, was stopped outside Terminal 1 at Dublin Airport later that day.
The two are charged with three counts under the Firearms Act, offences which can result in sentences of up to 14 years’ imprisonment.
Garda Marguerite Reilly had said the woman had strong links outside the jurisdiction in particular in Northern Ireland and she has close associates throughout Europe.
Her solicitor had told the court that the woman denied knowing what was in the bag.
The co-defendant, who was also refused bail, is due back before Cloverhill District Court later this month but the order banning the media from naming him remains in force in his case.