Attempt to report Marioara Rostas missing ‘unsuccessful’
Father of murdered Romanian teen went to gardaí but says they ‘didn’t understand’ him
The father of a teenager found in a shallow grave in 2012 has described the afternoon that she disappeared at a busy Dublin junction four years earlier and his unsuccessful attempt to report her missing.
Dumitru Rostas was giving evidence to the Central Criminal Court today in the trial of the 35-year-old man charged with murdering his daughter.
Alan Wilson of New Street Gardens in Dublin is charged with murdering Marioara Rostas at a house on Brabazon Street, The Coombe in the city. The 18-year-old has pleaded not guilty to her murder between January 7th and January 8th, 2008.
The trial has heard that her body was found in a shallow grave in Kippure on the Wicklow border in January 2012. She had died of four bullet wounds to her head.
Mr Rostas, a father of 10, testified that he moved from Romania to Ireland in late 2007, along with his wife and son. His daughter, Mariaora, joined them on December 19th of that year.
The family lived in Donabate but developed a habit of begging in the city. This is what they were doing on Sunday, January 6th 2012, just over a fortnight after her arrival.
He said that he left his son and daughter around 2pm to get some food and returned about 20 minutes later. When he returned, his daughter was gone.
He said the family waited for three hours but she didn’t return. He went to a Garda station once it became dark, but “they didn’t understand” him.
The family returned to Donabate to see if Ms Rostas was there, but she wasn’t. He said that the following day, he learned that she had made a call to a phone in Romania.
Mr Rostas said that he eventually managed to get an interpreter and report his daughter missing on January 9th, three days after she had disappeared.
The jury also heard from two witnesses, who saw a Romanian girl begging at the junction of Pearse Street and Lombard Street that Sunday. Both had been attending a church service in the area and had seen the girl begging there before.
One of the witnesses, Martha Murphy, said she appeared ‘very young, about 13 or 14’ and ‘very thin with sallow skin’.
The jury heard that the alleged murder scene was the focus of a garda investigation at the end of the following month after the fire brigade extinguished a blaze at the house.
Garda Daniel McCarthy said he went to the three-storey house on Brabazon Street some hours after the fire had been extinguished on February 29th.