Couple settle tumble dryer fire claim

Couple had sued for €167,000 over damage to their home from fire

Sat, Apr 20, 2013, 06:00

A couple who sued for €167,000 over damage to their home from a fire which started in an allegedly defective tumble dryer have settled their High Court action.

Niall and Audrey Gallen, Kiltallaght House, Termonfeckin, Drogheda, Co Louth, had sued Shomar Ltd, domestic appliance distributors of Western Industrial Estate, Dublin.

Shomar supplied the Powerpoint tumble drier to a retailer in Drogheda from whom the Gallens bought it in December 2011 for €175. It was claimed the fire started in a defective timer unit within the dryer.

Shomar’s insurers admitted liability but contested the €167,161 damage bill claimed by the Gallens, including €118,000 for rebuilding and renovation and nearly €48,000 for contents.

The court was told much of the costs related to smoke damage, including €10,000 for restoring nine paintings and seven watercolours.

The case opened yesterday before Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns , who was told later, following discussions, it had been settled.

The judge commented there should be “two bottles of champagne, one for each side”, but Hugh Mohan SC, for Shomar, said he did not think his side would be getting one.