Closure orders issued to food firms over hygiene breaches
Most businesses involved have orders lifted within days
The number of food businesses issued with enforcement orders for breaches of hygiene regulations has increased by 77 per cent in the first half of 2013 compared to the same period last year. Photograph: Getty Images
Closure orders were issued in relation to seven food businesses across the country for breaches of hygiene laws during June, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) has confirmed.
Most of the businesses involved had the orders lifted within days.
Closure orders were issued under the FSAI Act 1998 to the New Jasmine House restaurant in Kiltimagh, Mayo (served June 21st), Canton House restaurant in Millstreet, Cork (served June 21st), Shimla Indian Cuisine take-away in Blachardstown (imposed June 19), River Spice take-away in Killaloe, Clare (lifted June 14th) and the Wagon Wheel restaurant in Tarmonbarry, Roscommon (lifted June 14th).
Two further EC regulations closure orders were issued to Saffron Fine Indian Cuisine restaurant in Glanmire, Cork (lifted June 14th) and food storage areas at Clonlara Wholesale Distributors in Clonlara, Clare (served June 4th).
Shimla Indian Cuisine take-away in Blanchardstown was also served with a Prohibition Order on a number of foodstuffs used in its kitchen. Environmental health officers from the Health Service Executive issued the orders.
The number of food businesses issued with enforcement orders for breaches of hygiene regulations has increased by 77 per cent in the first half of 2013 compared to the same period last year.
A total of 69 enforcement orders were served between January and June, as opposed to 39 orders in the same period last year.
FSAI chief executive Prof Alan Reilly said the upward trend in closures was unacceptable and called on those in the food industry to uphold standards.
“Each enforcement order sends a clear message to food businesses that unsafe food safety practices or non-compliance with food legislation is not tolerated by the inspection officers.
“There is absolutely no excuse for negligent practices. Food businesses must recognise that the legal onus is on them to make sure that the food they serve is safe to eat.
“This requires ongoing compliance with food safety practices and hygiene standards to ensure that their businesses comply with the law,” said Prof Reilly.