Bus dispute referred to Labour Court
Talks aimed at averting strike action at Bus Éireann ended last night at the Labour Relations Commission, with the matter referred to the Labour Court and the threatened strike action not to take place.
Michael Faherty of the National Bus and Rail Union said, while the strike had been averted, there was still a lot of work to be done. “We achieved drastic changes to the original document. The one on the 9th of October was controversial. The current one is also controversial but it’s a much more palatable set of proposals than the ones we had before.”
He added that they were hoping to achieve a good result in the Labour Court.
Bus Éireann spokesman Andrew McLinden also welcomed the decision to refer the matter to the Labour Court. “More importantly, from our customers’ point of view, there will be no disruptions on Sunday or Monday to services.”
Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar said he hoped both sides would be able to reach a final resolution soon.