Boy awarded €5.5m last month after being struck by car dies


THE FAMILY of a boy who died after having been injured when hit by a car four years ago said an emotional goodbye at his Mass of the Angels service yesterday.

Ian Cusack (9) was laid to rest in a white coffin surrounded by white roses and lillies after his life was fondly remembered by family and friends who packed into Ballybrown Church, Co Limerick.

Ian was awarded a €5.5 million High Court settlement last month after suing the driver of the car through his mother, Oorla.

He suffered a devastating head injury in the incident outside his home on September 25th, 2008, which left him needing 24-hour care.

He passed away peacefully on Friday morning in the care of staff at Cooleen’s Respite House in Charleville, Co Cork.

Ms Cusack said she had brought the High Court action so the family would not be “at the mercy” of the Health Service Executive in seeking basic equipment and facilities for her son.

Yesterday, Very Rev Muiris O’Connor told mourners that, from the moment Ian was struck by the car “life was turned completely upside down” for the Cusacks.

“It has been a difficult four years for them since then . . . long bedside vigils, caring for Ian . . . long stays in different hospitals. The initial hopes perhaps that he would make a recovery – because he was a fighter – and then the gradual realisation that, for Ian, things were not going to improve.

“The odds were always against him, even in these days of advanced medicine,” Fr O’Connor continued.

“He brought joy to his parents John and Oorla. He was a loving and caring brother to his older brother, Jack.”

Burial took place in Adare Cemetery, Co Limerick.