Belfast Agreement copy no longer up for auction


Former minister for foreign affairs David Andrews has decided to withdraw a signed copy of the Belfast Agreement from auction because putting the item up for sale had been a “misjudgment”.

Then British prime minister Tony Blair, Northern secretary Mo Mowlam and other key participants in the talks signed the final draft with memorandum from former US senator George Mitchell and Canadian general John de Chastelain.

“I’m withdrawing it from the auction. It was a misjudgment on my part,” Mr Andrews said yesterday.

The document was issued only to those present on the final day of discussions on April 10th, 1998. The Irish Times reported on Saturday that it was due to be offered by Whyte’s auctioneers with a guide price of €3,000-€5,000.

Former deputy Fianna Fáil leader Mary O’Rourke said she was glad the item was no longer for sale.

The document was also signed by then taoiseach Bertie Ahern; ex-SDLP leader John Hume; Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams; and the North’s Deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness.