Application expected over rape case
The Director of Public Prosecutions is expected to make an application in relation to the case of convicted child rapist Patrick O’Brien at the Central Criminal Court tomorrow morning.
The 72-year-old Dublin man, who was sentenced by Mr Justice Paul Carney to 12 years with the final nine years suspended after he admitted raping his young daughter for ten years, had been released on bail on Monday pending an appeal.
He is listed to appear for mention in court room number six at 11am.
O’Brien, of Old Court Avenue, Bray, Co Wicklow pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to 16 charges of the rape and indecent assault of Fiona Doyle at Mackintosh Park, Pottery Road, Dún Laoghaire from 1973 to 1982.
Ms Doyle waived her right to anonymity during the case and said afterwards that she was devastated by the sentence imposed on her father.
Taoiseach Enda Kenny today said he would be willing to meet Ms Doyle to hear her views as a victim of unspeakable horror and her perspective on how a victim sees the workings of the court system.