14 killed in Afghan suicide blast

Tue, Oct 2, 2012, 01:00

 A suicide bomber killed 14 people, including three Nato soldiers and four police officers, and wounded 37 in Afghanistan’s volatile eastern Khost province, a Nato spokeswoman said.

A US official in Washington confirmed yesterday that the three soldiers killed were Americans serving in the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force. Six civilians and an Afghan interpreter also died in the attack.

A witness said a suicide bomber wearing a police uniform struck as soldiers patrolled the city of Khost. Provincial governor Abdul Jabar Nahimi said the bomber had been riding a motorcycle packed with explosives.

Thirty-seven civilians were wounded in the blast.

The bombing followed the killing of two Americans on Sunday in an exchange of fire with Afghan forces that took the death toll of US military and civilian personnel to over 2,000 in the 11-year war.

Insider attacks by members of the Afghan security forces against Nato allies have resulted in 52 deaths this year among foreign forces.