This week in the garden
Potato blight season is upon us, so keep a watchful eye out for the early signs of this damaging fungal disease. Photograph: Rishard Johnston
- Continue dead-heading faded flowers on bedding plants to help extend the flowering season.
- Potato blight season is upon us, so keep a watchful eye out for the early signs of this damaging fungal disease (dark-brown patches surrounded by a pale “halo”, visible on wilting foliage and stems) and pay attention to blight warnings. If blight hits, act quickly by cutting stems back to ground level and disposing of them carefully.
- Check young or recently planted trees and shrubs to see if they need to be watered as a result of the recent dry spell.
- Order seed of different salad crops, remembering to also order a few varieties suitable for late summer/early autumn sowings (see main article).
- There is still time to make late sowings of some fast-growing vegetables, including carrots, peas and radishes.