Summer comfort fettuccine
Creamy prawn and sun dried tomato fettucine, for when a salad just won't do.
Prawn & Sundried Tomato Fettucinne. Photographer: Dara Mac Dónaill / THE IRISH TIMES
Course: Main Course
Cooking Time: 20 mins
- Serves 44 tbsp olive oil, plus an extra glug
- 2 red onions, peeled and very finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 100g sundried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 250ml vegetable stock or water
- 1 large glass white wine
- Good pinch chilli flakes
- 350g fettuccine
- 250ml cream
- Approximately 750g frozen raw prawns
- salt and pepper
- 10g Parmesan, finely grated
- Approximately 100g baby spinach
- Big knob butter
- Big bunch basil
Sweat the olive oil and red onions along with the garlic, until soft but not coloured. Add the chopped sundried tomatoes, the veg stock (or water), along with the wine and chill flakes. Simmer for five minutes until it is bubbling and reduced slightly. At this stage, you could think about boiling up the pasta.
Add the cream to the sauce and then add the frozen prawns. Keep the heat up high and cook until the prawns turn pink and are cooked through. Season well. Add the Parmesan, spinach and mix until wilted. Feel free to add a squeeze of lemon juice if it needs to be sharpened up. Drain the pasta, toss with the butter and a splash of olive oil, season lightly and then mix with the sauce and serve.