Stuffed peppers with sweet potato and chestnuts
Stuffed red peppers. Photograph: Cyril Byrne
Course: Main Course
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 red peppers, cut in half, pith and seeds removed but stems intact (this stops the peppers from collapsing in the oven)
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 200g cooked, peeled chestnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Few chunks of goat’s cheese
- Chopped parsley
Preheat an oven to 180 degrees/gas 4.
Cook the diced sweet potato in half the olive oil on a parchment-lined baking tray for 15 minutes, or until tender. Meanwhile, sweat the onion and garlic in the rest of the oil (or coconut oil) until soft but not coloured – this will take about 10 minutes.
In a bowl, mix the onion and garlic and sweet potato with the chestnuts, tomatoes, thyme and chilli flakes. Add the beaten egg to bind it. Stuff the peppers with the mixture and top with a generous amount of goat’s cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with a green salad.