Pan-fried fish with cauliflower, mash & garden peas
Any white fleshed fish works well here and even mackerel fillets would be a nice addition
Pan-fried fish with cauliflower, mash and garden peas
- Serves: 2
- Cooking Time: 25 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Irish
- Serves 2
- 2 x 150g hake or cod fillets, skin on
- 200g frozen or fresh peas
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- A good knob of butter
- A large handful of spinach
- Sea salt and black pepper
- For the mash:
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- A small knob of butter
- 3 tbsp cream
- 3 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
Bring a pot of water to the boil before adding salt and the cauliflower florets. Cook for approximately six minutes or until the cauliflower is tender when pierced with a fork. Using a slotted spoon remove the florets from the water and transfer them to a food processor along with the butter, cream and thyme. Blitz on high until a smooth puree forms. Season to taste. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
With the water still boiling, add the peas and blanch them for three minutes before draining and refreshing in ice water.
Place a frying pan over a medium high heat and add the butter and oil. When the butter is melted, season the fish with black pepper before placing skin side down to cook for three to four minutes. Carefully turn the fish and add the spinach and peas, cooking until the leaves are wilted and the fish is cooked all the way through. Add another knob of butter at this point to the baste the fish as it cooks.
- Ireland’s first toastie festival comes to Bray
- Bake: A modern take on classic coffee cake
- Review: Proper, simple food in a gorgeous Dublin building
- Chef’s hacks: Don’t let food shopping frazzle you, make a list
- ‘The Graham Norton Shiraz, like his other wines, is very gluggable’
- Beautiful flavour from a seriously ugly root
- Now we know... does cheese really give you nightmares?
- Delightful beer from the ‘Dead Centre’ of Ireland
- Where to find great value Prosecco
- Easy, adaptable dishes the whole family will enjoy
Spread the cauliflower mash across two warm serving plates. Top with peas, spinach and the cooked fish. Season with sea salt and black pepper and serve.