Grilled Mackerel with Aubergine boats
Lilly Higgins recipe
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 40 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Fusion
- Grilled Mackerel with Aubergine boats
- Serves 4
- For the marinade
- 400g mackerel, about 8 fillets
- 2tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 4 aubergine
- 3 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- For the dressing
- 1 tbsp. sunflower or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp. sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp. very finely diced fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp finely chopped red chili
- 1 tsp finely chopped coriander
- To serve: Sesame seeds, fresh coriander and freshly cooked white rice.
Mix all of the marinade ingredients together in a large Ziploc bag. Add the mackerel fillets and ensure they are evenly covered in the marinade. Place in the fridge for half an hour at least.
Preheat the oven to 200C. Halve the aubergine lengthways. With a knife, score a criss-cross pattern onto the flat of the aubergine. Rub some olive oil over each flat side and place on a roasting tray cut side up. Roast for 30-35 minutes until golden and the black skin is collapsing on the outside. Set aside.
Heat the grill and line a baking tray with foil. Lay the mackerel skin side up on the tray.
Grill for five minutes then turn the fillets over. Baste with any remaining marinade and grill for a further five minutes.
Finally make the dressing. Place all of the dressing ingredients into a jam jar and shake well to combine. Taste for seasoning adding more acid or sweetness if you feel it needs it.
To serve, divide the mackerel between four plates. Add an aubergine boat and a scoop of rice to each plate. Scatter with fresh coriander and sesame seeds and drizzle with the dressing. Serve right away.