Chickpea, feta and herb salad
An easy to make, yet filling and healthy, Greek style salad with chickpeas.
Course: Side Dish
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- Serves 4-6 as a side dishReplace the coriander with more flat leaf parsley if you wish, or a punnet of cherry tomatoes2 cans chickpeas, (approx 400g tins) drained and rinsed
- 220ml olive oil
- 3 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 chilli very finely sliced
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 250g feta, crumbled
- 2 bunches spring onions
- 1 large bunch parsley
- 1 large bunch coriander
- Salt and black pepper
Heat up the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan, very gently. Add the onions and garlic and heat very gently until the onions are very soft, but don’t brown them. You’re just sweating not sautéing. Take them off the heat and add the chilli and lemon zest. Leave to sit and cool down.
Once it has cooled down, add the lemon juice and then in a large bowl, mix the chickpeas and this onion dressing and leave to marinate. Finely chop the spring onions and chop up the herbs. Add them to the chickpeas and mix well. Season lightly and then crumble in the feta and mix lightly.
Adjust seasoning again. Serve this at room temperature and remember, it tastes even better after an hour or two. It is also a good salad to eat the next day.