Win a trip to Barcelona
THE IRISH TIMES wine quiz is back. Test your knowledge of the world of wine with these 20 questions. All correct entries will be entered into a draw, with the winner receiving a prize of a trip for two to Barcelona, including flights and accommodation (two nights in a four-star hotel) and a winery tour and tastings in Pacs del Penedès.
You can enter this competition online only at
The closing date is August 25th, 2012.The answers and the winner’s name will be published in The Irish Times on Saturday, September 1st, 2012. The promoter’s decision is final and binding in all matters and no correspondence will be entered into.
1. Passetoutgrains is made from what two grape varieties?
2. Manzanilla is a Sherry raised in the seaside town of Sanlúcar de Barrameda. But what does the word mean in Spanish, and why is it applied to the wine?
3. What is a demi-muid or halbstück?
4. Kékfrankos; Villány; Szürkebarát; which is the odd one out?
5. The commune of Saint Julien in Bordeaux has 11 châteaux classified as grands crus although no first growths. What are they?
6. Where is the Clare Valley?
7. In what country would you find the Rosacker vineyard, France, Germany or Austria?
8. Martha’s Vineyard is a well-known holiday resort off the coast of Massachusetts. However, wine lovers prefer an alternative Martha’s Vineyard, where is it?
9. What does the term crianza mean on a bottle of Spanish wine?
10. Bordeaux grand cru classé Château Calon-Ségur was recently sold, reportedly for €200 million, by the Capbern-Gasqueton family. Who was the buyer?
11. What is Brett and why do most winemakers dislike it?
12. Which country recently overtook France and Italy to become the largest consumer of wine in the world?
13. Where and how did the word plonk originate?
14. Which Bordeaux grand cru classé has a picture of a ship on its label?
15. “If anyone orders Merlot, I am leaving. I am not drinking any Merlot.” Who says it, and in what film?
16. Paarl, Stellenbosch, Vergelegen. Which is the odd one out and why?
17. If you are drinking a glass of Saumur, would it be:
d) Any of the above
18. What is the popular name for chenin blanc in South Africa?
19. Who said, “Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages”?
20. We all know Glasnevin in Dublin, but what country produces several wines under the name?