Oh! How did you know?
You don't have to be a mind reader to come up with a fabulous gift for the woman who has it all
Although Santa Claus will have been working on his own list all year, with two weeks to go until the big day, it’s time to get down to making sure you’ve ticked everything off your Christmas gift list.
With mammy, daddy and the kids done and dusted – there’s never that much of a challenge involved in picking out the necessary perfume, jumpers and toys respectively – the question remains: what do you get the woman who has everything?
We have compiled a list of 10 gifts that, chances are, she won’t already have bought herself on one of her weekly shopping excursions.
These are not must-have gifts; at Christmas, the element of need should be subtracted entirely from the equation, allowing you to concentrate on the idea of desires.
* Gold baroque cocoon dress (€65) at A|Wear. This the perfect party dress for the season ahead, and it will look as good with black opaque tights and a smile as it will with a chunky knit jumper and a pair of boots. If in doubt about the size, get a gift receipt and size down. Nobody wants tears on Christmas morning.
* Leather handbag (€299) by Laura Bailey for Radley at Arnotts. This handbag is an instant classic, and not as pricey as some of its higher-end counterparts.
* Gem-encrusted eagle necklace (€27.95) at Zara. Statement necklaces ain’t going anywhere fast, and this piece stays just on the right side of OTT.
* Nine-carat gold chain pendants (€150 each) by MoMuse at Bow, Powerscourt Centre ( bowpowerscourt.com). If you fancy buying Irish, you could do a lot worse than these lovely pendants by Margaret O’Rourke of Bow boutique. If you are feeling extra generous, you could buy all three for great layering potential.
* The Apollo rose gold headphones (€70) by Nixon at my-wardrobe.com. This is the spoiled brat gift. Nobody needs these costly headphones, but they sure are beautiful.
* Crème de la Mer Starter Skin gift set (€218), at Harvey Nichols. Perhaps we spoke too soon. Crème de la Mer is the ultimate in luxury skincare, and its band of loyal customers attest to its efficacy.
* Chain detail hat (€27), at Marks Spencer. Hats aren’t for everyone so if you’ve never seen her in one, steer clear. But this cloche-style hat with chain detail from Marks Spencer is a classic shape at a great price. Stuff it with paper before wrapping carefully, to keep the shape.
* Seven swords bracelet (€26) by Alex Ani at Arnotts. Alex Ani is a new brand to Ireland, and this is just one of the myriad bracelets available, starting at €26. There are charms for every taste, and they look great piled on top of one another. But be warned, you might be encouraging her to start a collection.
* Red lipstick (€32.50) by Christian Dior at Debenhams. You can’t go far wrong with a classic red lipstick, and although it may seem like a somewhat pedestrian choice, this ultra-glamorous packaging makes it a special gift.
* Penneys jumpers (pictured left, woman in front wears metallic tape jumper, €14; tulle mini skirt, €11; woman at back wears jumper, €18; sequin mini, €19). Jumpers aren’t just for dads, and don’t have to be worn with old jeans or chinos. These cosy winter warmers look great over feminine flared skirts.