What’s playing on this month’s Newfound Sounds podcast
It’s the last Friday of the month – so it’s time to catch up on some of the best new releases from Irish acts, and Newfound Sounds is here to help.
– Sorcha Richardson, (pictured), one of Ireland’s brightest talents and in The Ticket last week, so we took the opportunity to chat to her for this month’s Newfound Sounds podcast. As well as getting to hear her gorgeous new track Last Train, you’ll get to find out how she discovers new Irish music – especially as she is based in New York – and where you can catch her live show next. facebook.com/sorcharichardsonmusic
– Also on the podcast is last week’s cover star Leanne Harte, with a new song from her new EP. She raised the money for her EP through crowdfunding online, and will officially release the beautiful Restless Sleepers in the Peacock Theatre on July 3rd. Leanne’s new music is showing her maturation as a musician, and how her ear for a melody gets better with each release. leanneharte.com
Newfound Sounds for July
– Remember ’90s Irish indie rock band Turn? If you still get their single Beretta stuck in your head every now and then, rest assured you’re not alone. Lead singer Oliver Cole released a solo album, We Albatri, a few years back, and his latest record stays in the low-key, heartfelt
vein. It’s a far cry from his older, heavier side, and we certainly are enjoying the transformation. New single Little Wolf features on the podcast this month.
– Áine O’Dwyer’s last release was a tape of incredible improvised pieces played on a church organ, and her newest production, Anything bright or startling?, is a rather different affair, but no less spellbinding. This time around, she has added her delicately mellifluous vocals, which shows another side to the talented multi- instrumentalist. Each song is like a self-contained treasure which reveals a little more of itself on every listen. secondlanguagemusic.com
– Nanu Nanu released their album, Unit 1, last month, and now Dublin musician Benny Smiles has given their single Pocket of Gold the remix treatment. He tells us it’s a taster of what is to come from his forthcoming EP, so we’re giving it a spin on to find out what you think. facebook.com/bennysmilesmusic