Glasnevin Cemetery and Botanic Gardens joined for first time
New pedestrian walkway links institutions
The gardens are theolder of the two institutions, having opened in 1795. The cemetery was established in 1832. Photograph: Dara Mac Dónaill
Despite sharing a boundary wall, the institutions, which together have the greatest concentration of protected structures in the State, have been inaccessible to each other and at least 15 minutes’ walk apart.
The construction of the pedestrian link by the Office of Public Works involved the removal of a section of the existing railing, provision of a new security-controlled access gate, paved steps and a paved sloped access route designed for universal access between each venue.
The gardens are the
older of the two institutions, having opened in 1795.
The cemetery was
established in 1832 under
the direction of Daniel O’Connell for the purpose
of burying people of all religions and none.