Harrison Ford injured on set of 'Star Wars: Episode VII'

Actor hospitalised after hurting ankle while filming in London

Fri, Jun 13, 2014, 07:40

Hollywood star Harrison Ford has been airlifted to hospital after being injured on the set of the latest Star Wars film.

The 71-year-old actor was reported to have suffered an ankle injury at Pinewood Studios, in Buckinghamshire, where the latest instalment of the famous franchise - Star Wars: Episode VII — is being filmed. He was flown to a hospital in Oxford for treatment yesterday.

A spokesman for Thames Valley police said: “We were called just after 5pm to reports of a 71-year-old man being injured in an incident believed to involve a garage door.”

Star Wars: Force for Change - A Message from J.J. Abrams

“The man was airlifted to John Radcliffe Hospital with injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening. The Health and Safety Executive is investigating.”

A spokesman for franchise owner Disney, said: “Harrison Ford sustained an ankle injury during filming today on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII. He was taken to a local hospital and is receiving care. Shooting will continue as planned while he recuperates.”

A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 4.24pm to Pinewood to reports of a 71-year-old male who had sustained an injury to his ankle from a door that had fallen.”

The latest Star Wars instalment began production last month, with original cast members of the Star Wars Trilogy Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher joining Ford.

The actor is reprising his role as Han Solo in the highly anticipated Disney reboot of the Star Wars franchise, directed by J.J. Abrams and scheduled for release in December 2015.

The film’s plot has been kept a secret, but Abrams has said the cast will include Ford, Carrie Fisher, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson and Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong’o.

The movie is set 30 years after Return of the Jedi.

Abrams recently announced the Force for Change programme whereby a Star Wars fan could win a role in the upcoming seventh instalment of the popular science fiction films. The programme will benefit UNICEF’s Innovation Labs and Programs, which seeks creative solutions to some of the worlds most pressing issues, including nutrition, water, health, and education.

Entry to the contest will cost a minimum donation of $10 dollars (USD) and runs through July 18th. The lucky winner will get a free trip to London and behind the scenes access to the set and meetings with the cast, in addition to the film role.

Agencies