Donald Clarke's Weekly Movie Quiz
1 Which US president is about to get the Steven Spielberg treatment?
2 Who has played a Tudor queen, a Hanover queen and a fictional head of MI6?
3 Combine a section of uncluttered land with a volume of financial records to create a mourned Australian star.
4 Why might Thunderball and What’s New Pussycat? make you think of a hit literary adaptation from 1963?
5 Name the pioneer pictured early in his career (above).
6 Titanic is, of course, the most financially successful best picture Oscar winner. What is the second most successful?
7 Who’s last five films took place in Thailand, the Middle East, Russia, Ireland and India?
8 Which 1979 smash turned Ravel’s Bolero into an erotic accompaniment?
9 Who links a trio of monarchs, apparent affection for a former governor of Arkansas, the brawler and an optimistic record of sporting strategies?
10 What links Lords of Dogtown, The Golden Compass, 30 Days of Night and Dreamgirls (in that order)?
1. Abraham Lincoln
2. Judi Dench (Elizabeth I in Shakespeare in Love, Queen Victoria in Mrs Brown, and M in the James Bond films)
3. Heath Ledger
4. Title tunes by Tom Jones. Tony Richardson’s Tom Jones was released in that year.
5. Walt Disney
6. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
7. David Lean
9. The most recent films of David O Russell (Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook)
10. The previous movies directed by film-makers who went on to helm episodes in the Twilight series (Catherine Hardwicke, Chris Weitz, David Slade, Bill Condon)