Donald Clarke's Weekly Movie Quiz
1Which film takes place largely at the Bates Motel?
2Which of this week’s releases is the first ever film to be projected commercially at 48 frames-per-second?
3“Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever?” A famous quote from which classic British film?
4Name the director (pictured).
5Combine an unopened flower with the head of a monastery to create one half of a veteran comic duo.
6Who links Elvis Presley, the Godfather, Superman and the Kaufman twins?
7What links (in this order) Sheriff Tom Bell, Harry Pfarrer, Larry Gopnik and Reuben Cogburn?
8Members of which band were credited as “Street Scum” in Martin Scorsese’s The King of Comedy (1983)?
9Which actor is a first cousin of not one, but two former captains of the New Zealand cricket team?
10Which classic British film was, for squeamish reasons, known as Stairway to Heaven in the US?
2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
3. The Third Man (1949)
4. Wes Anderson
5. Bud Abbot
6. Nicolas Cage (married Presley’s widow, nephew of Francis Ford Coppola, named his son Ka-El for Superman’s real name, played Charlie and Donald Kaufman in Adaptation)
7. Key characters in successive films by the Coen brothers (No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading, A Serious Man, True Grit)
8. The Clash
9. Russell Crowe (Martin and Jeff Crowe)
10. A Matter of Life and Death (1945)