Ryanair passenger traffic grows despite raft of cancellations

1 million extra customers used the airline in September 2017 compared to 2016

Some 1 million additional customers used Ryanair in September 2017 compared with the same period in 2016. Photograph: Bryan O’Brien/The Irish Times

Some 1 million additional customers used Ryanair in September 2017 compared with the same period in 2016. Photograph: Bryan O’Brien/The Irish Times

 

Passenger traffic at Ryanair grew by 10 per cent to 11.8 million customers in September, in line with growth in August but slightly lower than July’s 11 per cent growth.

Some 1 million additional customers used the airline in September 2017 compared with the same period in 2016 when the airline carried 10.8 million passengers. 

Ryanair’s load factor, a measure of how much it is able to fill aircraft with passengers, increased by 2 per cent to 97 per cent - the same load factor it recorded in August.

By the end of September the budget airline had carried 127.3 million customers, an increase of 12 per cent on last year. 

Again apologising for the company’s raft of cancellations in the wake of poor pilot rostering practices, Ryanair’s Kenny Jacobs said: “These figures include the 2,100 flight cancellations announced for September and October.

"We have now refunded/re-accommodated 98% of customers who were impacted in September and October. The remaining 2% of affected customers have yet to contact us.”

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.