10 things you should know about iOS 7
Apple customers across the globe downloading latest operating system today
Apple CEO Tim Cook speaks about the new iOS7 software during an Apple media event in Cupertino, California earlier this month. Photograph: REUTERS/Stephen Lam
1. It’s available to devices from the iPhone 4 and upwards, the iPad 2 and newer, and iPod Touch fifth generation devices. So if you have a 3GS or older phone, it won’t be available for your handset. And like other iOS updates, it’s free. Prepare to have a long wait to update though, as everyone will be hitting Apple’s servers hard today.
2. It’s got a completely new look. The new version of Apple’s mobile operating system is cleaner and simpler than before. It ditches all the leather look calendar styling and brings a fresher look to your phone.
3. Along with the Notification Centre, you now have access to the Control Centre, which will give quick access to important functions such as wifi and Bluetooth. Simply swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
4. Find my iPhone has been updated too. Now to disable Find My iPhone, you need to have the password for the account. Also, you can display a custom message on the screen of a lost iPhone asking (politely) for it to be returned asap.
5. The camera has been vastly improved, turning it into a faster and altogether more useful addition to your device.
6. Say hello to AirDrop. iOS 7 brings with it the ability to transfer files wirelessly between your iOS devices.
7. Multitasking has also been redesigned. Instead of a list of icons at the bottom of the screen, now you get smaller versions of the app windows themselves.
8. No more endless updates. iOS 7 brings automatic app updates to the operating system, so your favourite games will update without you having to take action in the App Store.
9. Safari has been given an overhaul, with full screen browsing and tabs that are easy to flick through.
10. See the softer side of Siri. The voice activated assistant is not only more useful, searching through more data on your phone than before, but has also been given new voice profiles.
This article was amended on September 19th 2013.