Ivan Yates returns to Newstalk airwaves
Former minister back to breakfast show from Wednesday
Newstalk has announced that broadcaster and former government minister Ivan Yates will return to the station later this week. Photograph: Jason Clarke Photography.
Newstalk has announced that broadcaster and former government minister Ivan Yates will return to the station later this week.
Pat Kenny’s first show on the station begins tomorrow morning while on RTÉ Radio One broadcaster Seán O’Rourke will begin his first day as Kenny’s replacement.
Former bookmaker Mr Yates left the station last year to deal with bankruptcy issues in the UK. Mr Yates ran into financial difficulties in 2011 when his Celtic Bookmakers chain collapsed, owing €6 million.
“Our new-look weekday schedule marks a turning point in independent radio,” Newstalk station editor Garrett Harte said.
“Tomorrow marks a new day for Newstalk and I am confident that this team will ensure that Newstalk grows to new heights,” he said.
In an interview with The Irish Times, Kenny disputed RTÉ director general Noel Curran’s assertion that presenters’ fees were over-inflated during the boom. He said he was approached by the independent broadcaster because RTÉ had hinted he was available.