Quinn clan's legal comings and goings
Cantillon:The comings and goings on the Quinn family’s legal team is like the Four Courts answer to Lanigan’s Ball. You’d be forgiven for wondering if this is a tactical move by the family to prolong the legal proceedings.
Barrister Maddie Grant, who had represented Seán Quinn in court before he was sentenced to a nine-week term, told the court on Tuesday that she had been told her services and those of her father, Eugene Grant QC, were no longer required.
The solicitor briefing the Grants was Kevin Winters in Belfast. Grant told the court she would be bringing a motion to come off record in the case.
Another barrister, Ross Aylward, told the court that he and a new firm of solicitors would be coming on record for Quinn’s five children and three of their spouses.
He asked the court for more time to file a defence to the action brought against the children by the former Anglo Irish Bank. The court duly obliged.
Niall McPartland, a solicitor and husband of Ciara Quinn, has been representing the family on various occasions in court.
Last month Ms Justice Elizabeth Dunne adjourned a hearing in the bank’s contempt case against Seán Quinn snr by just two weeks to allow his then new legal team, led by Mr Grant, time to get up to speed.
Quinn’s previous legal team included Bill Shipsey SC, Brian O’Moore SC and solicitors Eversheds. They came off record on September 3rd last as the family said it could no longer pay them, although they represented Seán Quinn jnr in his unsuccessful Supreme Court appeal on his three-month sentence for contempt last month.
The Quinn children were supposed to have filed a defence to the bank’s claim against them by September but no explanation was given why they hadn’t.
On Tuesday Mr Justice Peter Kelly gave them one more week. Let’s hope they don’t have to find more new lawyers.No love for Government e-tender website
Something of a war of words has broken out over the Government’s troubled eTenders website. Since its launch last week, eTenders.gov.iehas drawn a steady stream of invective from disgruntled users, frustrated with login problems, page errors, site crashes and the loss of account information.
The fiasco has prompted a series of apologetic statements from the National Procurement Service (NPS) on behalf of the site’s operator, EU Supply. The Swedish company had won the contract to operate the site by beating off incumbent Millstream, which ran the site when it was under aegis of the Department of Finance.
In an apparent bid to capitalise on its successor’s bad press last week, Millstream launched a rival site, myTenders.ie.
Yesterday it upped the ante by formally inviting users to join its new site in a circular mail under the subject line “Do you miss the reliability and facilities of the old eTenders website?”.
In its mail, the Scottish group noted with glee that “eTenders and its new Swedish operator have attracted well-documented criticism from users in the press and social media”.
This cheeky pitch for business, however, incurred the wrath of the NPS. In a follow- up mail, it cautioned users to ignore “unsolicited emails and invitations” from Millstream, reminding them that “myTenders is NOT eTenders”. It said it had not given its authorisation to Millstream to make any contact with suppliers in relation to its new myTenders service and that Millstream breached the data protection laws by sending its email.