Movie quiz for May 30th
Come on, it’s an easy one this week. Easy, I tell you.
1. Which of this week’s releases takes place mainly in Leitrim?
2. Of which fairytale is Maleficent a retelling?
3. Identify the star from this early publicity shot.
4. Which artist had a hit album with his largely unused “soundtrack” to Tim Burton’s Batman?
5. Name the Turkish film that won the Palme d’Or at Cannes last weekend.
6. The script to which 1980s action hit was originally pitched as a sequel to Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Commando?
7. Which Italian film was a remake of Akira Kurosawa’s Yojimbo (1961)?
8. Which director links Terence Rattigan, John Kennedy Toole and Edith Wharton?
9. What links an upcoming Thomas Pynchon adaptation, a remake of Death Race 2000, a hostelry named for the Hungarian capital, and Barb Wire?
10. Where might you have encountered (albeit briefly) Harvey Pekar, Jean Brodie, Irma la Douce, Miss Moneypenny and Withnail?
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWERS
1. Jimmy’s Hall
2. Sleeping Beauty
3. Ian McShane
5. Winter Sleep
6. Die Hard
7. A Fistful of Dollars
8. Terence Davies (directed versions of The Deep Blue Sea, The Neon Bible and The House of Mirth)
9. Anderson (Paul Thomas Anderson’s Inherent Vice, directed by Paul WS Anderson, Wes Anderson’s Grand Budapest Hotel, starring Pamela Anderson)
10. Downton Abbey (played by Paul Giamatti in American Splendor, Maggie Smith in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Shirley MacLaine in Irma la Douce, Samantha Bond in Pierce Brosnan’s four 007 films, Richard E Grant in Withnail & I)