It’s the big Cannes quiz
Don’t worry. It doesn’t contain much specialist knowledge. Normal service resumes next week.
1. Name the star on this year’s Cannes poster.
2. The opening film concerns which onetime near neighbour of Cannes.
3. Which winner of the Palme d’Or is known as Das weiße Band in its own language?
4. Which actor and director, competing in this year’s competition, lived across the hall from Al Gore in college?
5. Which veteran director, back in the race for the 2014 Palme d’Or, described cinema as “life at 24 frames-per-second”.
6. Since the second World War, the festival has only been cancelled once. In what year was it called off due to certain “événements”?
7. Which British director this year enters the competition for a record 12th time?
8. Which brothers, should they win this year, will jointly become the first two people to grab the Palme d’Or on three occasions?
9. What, in Cannes terms, links the Lumière brothers, Claude Debussy, André Bazin and Luis Buñuel?
10. Which Palme d’Or winner made the most money at the world box office?
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWERS
1. Marcello Mastroianni
2. Grace Kelly (Grace of Monaco)
3. The White Ribbon
4. Tommy Lee Jones
5. Jean-Luc Godard
7. Ken Loach
8. Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne
9. They lend their names to screening rooms at the festival.
10. Fahrenheit 9/11 (just ahead of Pulp Fiction).