Movie quiz for January 17th
Don’t have a quizzy fit. It’s the quiz.
1. Which film won the most Golden Globes last Sunday?
2. Which hit film details the lonely adventures of Dr Ryan Stone?
3. Name the actor pretending to be a young Abraham Lincoln.
4. Who links a song by Elton John, an Oscar-nominated performance by Michelle Williams, and a tune in the musical Blood Brothers?
5. Nicole Kidman is Virginia Woolf. Terrence Malick’s second feature. Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger get busy. Hugh Grant and Julianne Moore are having a baby. Steve McQueen’s current film. What’s the (ascending) connection?
6. Who came next: Ridley Scott, James Cameron, David Fincher?
7. Which actor was not in The Towering Inferno: Fred Astaire, OJ Simpson, Gene Hackman, Robert Wagner?
8. Whose voice will you hear in The King and I, West Side Story, My Fair Lady and Mulan?
9. Why might The Agony and the Ecstasy and L’Avventura make you think of a scrappy amphibian?
10. Which team’s first (now believed lost) film was a short called Humor Risk?
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWERS
1. American Hustle
3. Henry Fonda in Young Mr Lincoln (1939)
4. Marilyn Monroe (Candle in the Wind, My Week with Marilyn, “Marilyn Monroe”)
5. Units of time (The Hours, Days of Heaven, Nine ½ Weeks, Nine Months, 12 Years a Slave)
6. Jean-Pierre Jeunet (successive directors of Alien films)
7. Gene Hackman (he was, however, in The Poseidon Adventure)
8. Marni Nixon (famously dubbed the female leads in the first three films)
9. The Agony and the Ecstasy stars Charlton Heston as Michelangelo. Michelangelo Antonioni directed L’Avventura. Michelangelo is a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.
10. The Marx Brothers (1921)