Movie quiz for December 27th
The quizmaster was away from the internet — indeed, from electricity — for some days and apologies for delay in posting.
1. Which role, once played by Danny Kaye, is about to be played by Ben Stiller?
2. Name the actor in Roman gear.
3. Sammy Davis Jr and Peter Falk ended up with just one of these. Most of us have two. What are we talking about?
4. Which director has been married to Amy Irving and is currently married to Kate Capshaw?
5. Sylvester Stallone, Adam Sandler and Kevin Costner have (in descending order of “success”) won which award more than any other person?
6. Who links Max Schreck, Norman Osbourne and T S Eliot?
7. What links, in this order, Collette, Posy Simmons, Beth Rayner and Martin Sixsmith?
8. Why might the 2,000-year-old Man and Mrs Robinson make you think of World War Z.
9. What links Tauriel, Meriadoc Brandybuck, Dr Hasnat Khan and Bryan Mills’s imperilled daughter?
10. Which director made his debut with the Sonny and Cher vehicle Good Times?
SPOOL DOWN FOR ANSWERS
1. Walter Mitty
2. Peter Ustinov (in Sparticus)
4. Steven Spielberg
5. Worst actor at the Razzies
6. Willem Dafoe (played in Shadow of the Vampire, Spider-Man and Tom and Viv)
7. Wrote source books for successive Stephen Frears films (Cheri, Tamara Drew, Lay the Favourite, Philomena)
8. The 2,000-year-old Man was played by Mel Brooks who was married to Anne Bancroft, Mrs Robinson in the Graduate. Their son, Max Brooks, wrote the book on which World War Z was based.
9. Played by actors from the TV series Lost (Evangeline Lily in The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Dominic Monaghan in The Lord of the Rings, Naveen Andrews in Diana, Maggie Grace in Taken)
10. William Friedkin.