Movie quiz for August 9th
It’s the queen of quizzes. It’s Queen Equizabeth
1. Which wandering western adventurer – currently in the film pages again – carried out his adventures to Rossini’s William Tell Overture?
2. Name the director receiving his Oscar in the photo.
3. Who, it has just been revealed, will be fighting Superman in a feature to be released in 2015?
4. Whose career began with Thief, The Keep and Manhunter?
5. What links recent films A Field in England, Frances Ha, Much Ado About Nothing and Blancanieves?
6. Who made his first credited film appearance as a racist South African throwing abuse at Ben Kingsley in Gandhi?
7. What role links Kate Winslet, Jean Simmons and Helena Bonham Carter?
8. What links Bandit, Kato, JJ Hunsecker and Robin?
9. Sting is sinister in 1982. Steve Martin dances in 1981. Robert Downey Jr is hospitalised in 2003. The only examples of what?
10. Why might The Trolley Song, Miss Fritton and Eve Kendall make you think of a Val Kilmer flop?
1. The Lone Ranger
2. Ang Lee.
4. Michael Mann
5. They are all in black & white
6. Daniel Day Lewis
7. They all played Ophelia in films of Hamlet
8. Played by a Burt (Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit, Burt Kwouk in The Pink Panther films, Burt Lancaster in Sweet Smell of Success, Burt Ward in Batman)
9. Features films based on Dennis Potter TV plays (Brimstone and Treacle, Pennies from Heaven, The Singing Detective)
10. The Trolley Song is from Meet Me in Saint Louis. Miss Fritton appears in the Saint Trinian’s films. Eve Kendall was played by Eve Marie Saint in North by Northwest. Kilmer appeared in The Saint.