Movie quiz for June 21st
Why might today make you think of an Overlord?
1. Who was (simultaneously) played by Dave Prowse and James Earl-Jones?
2. How was Der Untergang known in English?
3. What links Anne Howe, Britt Ekland, Miranda Quarry and Lynne Frederick?
4. Who’s that whispering in Marilyn Monroe’s ear?
5. Why might Ed Harris and Gary Oldman make you think of a large Alpine working dog?
6. What have Terence Davies, David Mamet, Laurence Olivier and Mike Figgis all done?
7. Why might 1976 and 1981 films by Andrzej Wajda make you think of a current blockbuster?
8. Who’s next: Harvey Milk, Otis Blake, George VI, George Valentin?
9. Second-Hand Hearts, Lookin’ to Get Out, The Slugger’s Wife, 8 Million Ways to Die. The (undistinguished) last feature films of which Oscar-winning director and editor?
10. What links Winter Light, Oldboy, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and For a Few Dollars More?
1. Darth Vader
3. They were the wives of Peter Sellers
4. Billy Wilder
5. The played Beethoven (in Copying Beethoven and Immortal Beloved). That was, of course, the name of a famous St Bernard in an eponymous family film.
6. All directed films based on Terence Rattigan plays (The Deep Blue Sea, The Winslow Boy, The Prince and the Showgirl, The Browning Version)
7. Man of Marble, Man of Iron and Man of Steel
8. Abraham Lincoln (roles played by successive winners of the Oscar for best actor)
9. Hal Ashby
10. They are middle films in loose trilogies (Ingmar Bergman’s Faith Trilogy, Park Chan-Wook’s Vengeance Trilogy, John Ford’s Cavalry Trilogy, Sergio Leone’s Dollar Trilogy)