• irishtimes.com - Posted: August 20, 2010 @ 12:58 pm

If you only do one thing this weekend ….

Laurence Mackin

Listen to: We were going to recommend you head North and check out the Belsonic festival, but all the good gigs are sold out. So instead, go for the capital and prepare yourself for a night of gentle, subtle, emotive soundscapes with . . . sorry, prepare to have the shirt ripped off your back and a full-on sonic punch up from Adebisi Shank, who are launching their new album tonight in Whelan’s. Support comes from Richter Collective stablemates Bats. Expect huge guitar sounds, an apocalyptic rhythm section and enough energy to power a small country. And masks.
    Whelan’s, Wexford Street, Dublin. 7.30pm, €12.

Go to: It’s not strictly artsy, but the summer is gathering its things and preparing to leave, so take advantage of what weather is left and head for Yoga in the Park on Saturday morning. A €5 minimum donation gets you yoga instruction in the lush and leafy surroundings of Dartmouth Square in Ranelagh, Dublin. Expect to get your stretch on from 11am to 12.30pm.
    For more info, click here.

Watch: Look, we all know Un Prophète (or Prophet A as my local Xtravision translated it) was the best film from last year and we fumed when it didn’t walk away with the Best Foreign Language Oscar. (While we’re at it, what the hell sort of nonsense is Best Foreign Language film as a category anyway? And why are there separate categories for male and female actors? Shouldn’t it just be best actor? But we digress.) However, the film that did take the golden trinket on the night has now rolled on to our shores, and we might have to grudgingly admit that the all-powerful Academy might have got this one right. The Secret in their Eyes is a seriously classy criminal law affair, with some beautifully shot moments. However, avoid the Light House cinema’s blurb for it, I reckon it gives too much away. Toddle on down to Smithfield to find out for yourself, and set your jaw to drop.
    Light House Cinema, Smithfield, Dublin. Various times, €9

Take in: Okay, this is only previewing on Monday, which is hardly the weekend, but come on, give us some artistic licence. A Dream Play is as adventurous a production as you are likely to see this year that takes a trip into the mind of a 1950s banker. Directed by Jimmy Fay from a Caryl Churchill script, any troupe would find this a difficult challenge – the fact that it is the National Youth Theatre and its cast of teenagers bringing it to the stage means it’s such a crazy plan, it might just work. And for the love of Job, don’t start talking about Inception during the interval. Come on people, you can do better than that.
    Peacock Theatre, Dublin. Previews Monday, opens Wednesday. 8pm, €12-25

If you have your own recommendations, feel free to post them below. Please try and keep it brief and do declare an interest where you have one. Something for the weekend sir? Certainly. Mark Lanegan has a new album out with Isobel Campbell and he’ll be doing his solo thing on Tuesday in Galway and Wednesday in Dublin. Here’s a taster to savour.

• kynos says:

Have to say I came across an interesting departure in the increasingly interesting Chinese cinema when was looking up your A Prophet and The Secret In Their Eyes. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjm9gAjgRuU&NR=1
      Not exactly a spaghetti western more a noodle eastern but I like what’s being served up (then again lived in PRC 6 years I can eat anything on four legs that isn’t an oil rig).

• kynos says:

And hell sure liked that last video you got there. My interests such as I declare include road movies long haul driving totems hangin from my rearview ladies cars guns solitary pilgrims prophets crime investigation style good bar fights (OK given those up good while back) philosophy and what happens to people’s minds and souls under intense pressure yeah you’ve covered quite a bit there Laurence thanks.

• cheers says:

Was going to say Churchill and his doings but rather more Winston not Caryl just caught the last name fore I caught the first scannin down there think I’ll watch that last vid again tho’ in an hurry very very cool song

• k says:

I’d never heard of Isobel Campbell nor Mark Lanegan their stuff sounds very interesting good direction and cinematography in that vid is it an amateur affair very commendable and Adebeshi Shank in Japan that was …pretty good too. Must see what else yer links offer. Certainly plenty for the weekend. Not been on the blogs lately just felt like takin a break but goes to show it’s so easy to fall behind the times.

• Des Canine says:

I’m disturbed by that video.

The central line on the road is white in some shots even though the road clearly isn’t a dual-carriageway. The two actors bear a striking resemblance to Megan Fox and Dominic Whatsit from the Eminem “Love the way you Lie” video. The car, gas pumps, motel and telephones are 1960s vintage but the crash barriers and power lines are modern.

What the heck is going on here?

• Laurence Mackin says:

Des Canine – Yeah, but isn’t it just lovely. And don’t you want one of those pick-up trucks?

• kynos says:

Out there in the middle of nowhere Des Canine it might be supposed that the authorities have upgraded the facilities and services from time to time, while the locals are content with the stuff they bought 40 years ago. Agree that integrity of vision is most important. In any work of art.

• kynos says:

According to wiki, though yellow lines are used to indicate the division between opposing streams of traffic and white lines signfy a division between vehicles travelling in the same direction, as in a dual carriageway for instance as you say, apparently in Colorado white lines are painted atop a black background laid down beforehand, to improve the contrast of the road markings. That video looks like it might have been shot in Colorado. And in November/December 1985, when I rode my bike up from New Jersey through upper New York State then down into Pennsylvania, I passed thru’ a few back of beyond places that still had a bunch of old wagons on their roads dating back to the fifties and even forties and still had old gas pumps (round tops on them, think they said Amoco in one case0 and I stayed in a bunch of old motels that wouldn’t look out of place in early Hitchcock thrillers. I bet they all still there or most of them. They built stuff well back in those days before planned obsolescence. Of course they’d just won a world war and were full of confidence and patriotic fervor and stuff. I was extremely well treated in the little towns I went through, particularly one named Liberty, New York, where the locals in the local huntin shootin fishin bar pretty much took care of me when I came off the bike trying to go through a snowdrift and she had to spend a few days in the shop getting bits unbent and started again. Salt of the earth people. Bet these days though they’re far more suspicious of strangers. Ah but that’s the New World Order thing maybe it takes more than that to change a people that drastically. Anyway I’m off to the Fleadh slan.

• Des Canine says:

By the way, lest there be doubt, I do actually like both the video (yeah – WOULD just love one of those pick-ups and the desert climate to go with it!) and the song.

Search Pursued by a Bear