• irishtimes.com - Posted: January 13, 2010 @ 11:44 am

The blog is dead – long live the blog!

Fiona McCann

I’ve gone a bit schtum of late, partly because I’ve been kept fierce busy staying abreast of the big bloggerfuffle as evinced here and here. After all, if blogging is dead, does that make me a necrophiliac? Course, I’ve also been on hatwatch, which can be very time-consuming indeed, as you can well imagine. But moving swiftly on, a quick alert for an event which has already made an appearance in the comments here, but really deserves its own post: that’s right folks, it’s the Sing-a-long Sound of Music at Dublin’s Sugar Club. So don your Von Trappery and head a-long to said venue on February 6th for a night of raindrops and roses and whiskers on kittens. The film will be screened with subtitles for anyone who gets confused about whether they’re sixteen going on seventeen, or how you find a word that means Maria (a flibbertijibbet, a will-o-the-wisp, a clown, in case you didn’t know). Kick off at 7.30 p.m. Sing it with me, doe a deer, a female deer. . . .

soundofmusic.jpg

• donal says:

erm that sound of music night is a great idea but why is it €15 in just to watch a dvd in a place that sells booze?

• Fiona says:

Donal: Ah but it’s all about the group experience, duh. Agreed it may be a bit steep (though I’ll probably fork out anyway), but presumably someone has to pay for venue hire.

• Annie says:

Oh god, I actually find myself liking the sound of that. Would prefer if it was Singa longa West Side Story though.

• Did you see Paschal Sheehy’s hat last night? Military chic?

• Rosie says:

that sounds terrifying. even more so than hip hop dance classes.

• Fiona says:

Annie: We MUST go. And Rosie, we MUST bring you a-long.

Raptureponies: What? A new hat trend? Cannot believe I missed it! Harrumph.

• mise says:

I feel a bit old now – it’s ages since I went to a singalong S of M – in the IFC, I think, and everyone was given a Maria outfit. Here’s the Central Station Antwerp performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYAUazLI9k

• Blaithin says:

How’s it going. I’m one of the organisers of the Singalong event. Thanks for posting about it.

Just to let you know the event is much more than just the film; it’s interactive with lots of audience participation. A host will introduce the show and explain where to sing and chant, this is followed by a competition for best dressed. You also get a goody bag of props to use in conjunction with the film. I can guarantee it will be a great night.

And to solve the mystery, half of your €15 goes on rights for the film and the show, and the rest on production etc.

• Fiona says:

Mise: You are ancient! Don’t you know blogging is for the youf? Hehe.

Blaithin: Ooh, it just gets better and better! And yes, thanks for explaining where the money goes. I’m definitely in (and busy recruiting). . .

• Catherine says:

I can’t make it – I’m raging! Is there going to be more events like it in the future? I second the Sing-A-Long West Side Story, although some of those vocals might be a little trickier…

• Fiona says:

Catherine: I third the Sing-A-Long West Side Story. Though I tend to suppot singalong anything really. Will keep you posted if more come up!

• Blaithin says:

Fiona – cheers. The more the merrier.

*confession* I know SOM off by heart but have never seen West Side Story.

Search Pursued by a Bear