• irishtimes.com - Posted: April 27, 2009 @ 5:45 pm

Me me me!

Fiona McCann

I’ve been memed, tagged or otherwise accosted by Sinful Origami Paper’s Gray Wright.

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly about it, here goes my first ever meme (a word interestingly composed of the words me me. Hmmm). Consider this a cultural post, then.

Here are the rules as they were bequeathed me:

1) Put the link of the person who tagged you on your blog.
    2) Write the rules. (I presume they mean copy the rules, though I’ve a good mind to write my own)
    3) Mention six things or habits of no real importance about you. (Bah. No real importance? To whom? Never mind, am being curmudgeonly again).
    4) Tag six persons (PERSONS? Isn’t the plural of person PEOPLE people? Sheesh) adding their links directly. (This one I’ve ignored. Sorry Sinful, but it’s just a bit too much like a chain letter then, and I HATE chain letters).
    5) Alert the persons that you tagged them. (Which renders this one moot, I guess)

So here comes the unimportant list. I honestly don’t know why you’re still reading.

1. This is my first meme.

2. Books I’ve started and not finished include, embarrassingly, Ulysses (at this point, I hope you’re not still reading. Especially if I’ve ever lied to you about this. I mean, I have read loads of it, if not quite all of it).

3. I miss fatmammycat’s daily rants.

4. I get fierce uncomfortable if I have to sit with my back to an open door, or even the rest of the room. Back to the wall is what I’m after, and will fight you for that seat in a restaurant.

5. I have acrophobia. Sometimes even sitting on a fence can make me feel a bit wibbly.

6. This is my third blog.

• Kynos says:

1.This ain’t mine.
      2. I do notice you’ve picked one of the most complex works in the English language (allegedly) to represent those books you’ve started and not finished Fiona. I’ve not yet finished my abairtí agus aistí from primary school. I’ve also not yet finished Ulysses but there’s a bunch of other stuff I’ve not yet finished that makes me look far stupider for it! :) Of course Ulysses may be quite simple for you. Being an IT journalist and all.
      3. Don’t know farmammycat. Will read.
      4. I don’t know what is extreme or irrational about a fear of heights. It’s the only fear we’re born with and with some good reason we have it imo. Did a sponsored parachute jump once trying to cure mine. Made it worse. It comes and goes though which is strange.
      6. I don’t blog, just graffiti random thoughts in the headspace of the Irish Times. Well ye do it to me. Like your blog.

• Kynos says:

What’s worse than not finishing a book is reading it and forgetting some basic plot or character element. On another poll/blog round here tonite I mixed up an horse (Boxer) with a dog (boxer) most embarrassingly and went on to pontificate upon the matter. Urk. Duvet-over-the-head moments are not uncommon in my life.

• Bequeathed? You make it sound like I’m dead!

I managed 140 pages of Ulysses and I’m proud of it.

• John Self says:

Re Kynos’ point 4. Aren’t we born with two fears, fear of falling (rather than heights as such) and fear of loud noises? Both would seem to be corroborated by my 3 month old son’s startle reflex when he is lifted (and immediately spreads his arms out for something to hold on to) or hears a sharp noise.

I have a fear of heights too but perhaps not as bad as Fiona’s (don’t like ladders though). I console myself by knowing that it’s not as bad as a friend of mine who was visiting a cathedral with friends. They went up the tower and he stayed in the ground. When they were up there, one of them waved down to him and he, looking up and seeing someone at such a great height, vomited in fear.

• Kynos says:

Called the Moro Reflex, John. No not the lunge from the buggy grabbing for a chocolate bar on the way to the till in Tescos but the way they spread their arms and startle and cry if they feel they’re being dropped or hear a sudden loud noise. Its tested at birth because its absence in whole or part indicates motor system problems. When a baby crawls up one of a pair of carpeted inclines, separated from each other by a sheet of transparent and absolutely pristine plastic, thus simulating a gulf without actually being one, and arriving at the top sees mum on the other side beckoning him/her on, but also the apparent “drop”, the baby will not crawl out on the plastic, but will stop or even retreat though Mum may smile and call and wave encouragement. We are born with a fear of heights as well as the startle reflex I’m convinced. Makes sense, sorry for your friend hope they didn’t inhale when looking up at the same time as vommed! :(

• Fiona says:

Yes, it’s definitely a fear of falling – or even of jumping. That strange pull over the edge – the gravitational urge, and a feeling of powerlessness. It’s a pull downwards, and I am often afraid I won’t be able to resist.

• Stan says:

“That strange pull over the edge”

Poe called this the imp of the perverse – the lure of a cliff edge, or the contrary refusal to meet a deadline. His short essay about it is readily readable online.

• JC says:

Wait. There are people who get to antagonize babies with simulated cliffs? As a job?

• Oh God, back to the wall all the way! I feel kind of edgy if i’m not.

Search Pursued by a Bear