• irishtimes.com - Posted: March 15, 2009 @ 1:38 pm

Hello to Berlin

Fiona McCann

I am off to Berlin to avoid Dublin on St Patrick’s day. Blogging will be temporarily suspended, and I’ll be attempting instead to just take it all in.  Recommendations for Berlin recordings are most gratefully accepted. In the words of one Mr Isherwood: “I am a camera with its shutter open, quite passive, recording, not thinking.”

• John Self says:

No recommendations to make, never having been to Berlin, but a trivia question: what Pet Shop Boys song takes its title from the last words of one of Isherwood’s Berlin books?

Anyway. Enjoy.

• Fiona says:

John Self: Ooh, no idea. Going to hazard a guess (having just googled Pet Shop Boys songs) and say Domino Dancing …

• John Self says:

Nope, it was ‘What have I done to deserve this’, which are the last lines of Mr Norris Changes Trains. (I think it’s actually ‘What have I done to deserve all this’ in the book.)

• Sascha says:

If you get a chance check out the area around the Simon-Dach-Strasse. Some good bars in that area. Not too far from Berlin-Mitte (sort of city center)

• Listen to Stereo Total, Deutsche indie-pop heroes Wir Sind Helden, or old-school Nick Cave!

And have a great time. I love, love, love Berlin (I spent the summer of ’95 there, when it was a very different place, but have been back a good few times since).

It’s a brilliant city to just walk around in, but if you want to go shopping, the area around Hackescher Markt is great. And there are loads of cool cafés and stuff in Friedrichshain.

• Shero says:

Berghain rocks.

• Fiona says:

Thank you all for the tips – Berlin was amazing, and I took as much in as I could but am definitely going back for more as soon as I can.

Search Pursued by a Bear