• irishtimes.com - Posted: February 22, 2009 @ 5:22 pm

Going, going – GONG!

Fiona McCann

Imagine my gobsmackery when the name of this blog was called out by MC Rick O’Shea at the Irish Blog Awards in Cork last night! I was stunned, thrilled and shockingly grateful to the judges, to the Blogfather Damien Mulley and to all those who comment here and make this blog work. I was already having the time of my life, putting faces to comments and blogs, and milling around Cork International Airport Hotel with a bunch of fascinating folk who write and take photographs and draw and post and link and do astounding, blogificent things, but to win an award on top of all that was giddyingly great. For a full list of the winners, click here. Am too wrecked to write more now, so am off for a nap with my award in my arms.

• Annie says:

Aw, I’m so happy you won. Congrats and kisses.

• Sinéad says:

Nice to see the A&C gong in good hands. :) So well-deserved, you were miles ahead of your fellow nominees and I had no doubt at all that you’d win. In fact, I wish there’d be a Paddy Power book on it, and I’ve gambled everything, a la Bullseye.

Hope you had a great night. This is my first year to miss the awards, and all the posts and tweets reminded me how much fun it is. As you say, the best bit is putting names to faces and meeting so many interesting, talented people.

I won’t skip it next year!

Congrats again.

• Go cous!

I always knew we had an award winning writer in the family. Big hugs and kisses.

Conall

• Flirty says:

Delighted – you are in full purple patch!

• aphrodite says:

Told you didn’t I? Fantastic win – well done!

• The Monk says:

hooooraaaaaaay!!!! of course you won, you fabulous girl. delighted to hear the news….

• John Self says:

“you were miles ahead of your fellow nominees”

Hey, we’re still here you know, Sinéad! *sob*

• Sinéad says:

John, I suppose I’m looking at the Arts & Culture blog nominees the way some of the judges might have, ie. examining a blog that touches on as many facets of what it is deemed to be Arts & Culture.

This blog casts a wider net in that it covers books, music, film, theatre, etc, and you could argue that the other nominees are narrower in their scope (which doesn’t diminish them). It also doesn’t mean that the other blogs aren’t as worthy (they’re all excellent and I still subscribe to Asylum in my Bloglines feed because of the quality of your reviews), but I think the judges possibly compared the breadth of its subject matter to the other nominees, and as a result the others may have looked a little more niche than this one. Does that make sense?

Hope the baby is well and not keeping you from blogging. :)

• Congratulations. I’ll be reading you in future.

I’ve written you an Open Letter on my blog. I’d be grateful if you’d read it.

Paul

• Markham says:

Congrats, Fiona, well deserved!

• John Self says:

That’s OK Sinéad, I was only pulling your leg and didn’t mean to put you on the spot. I quite agree anyway: I don’t think my blog is in the same league as most of the others; I post only twice a week or so, and it’s pretty unidimensional. I was just pleased to be nominated (I don’t know who by, but thanks) and judged worthy of a place on the shortlist (also don’t know who by, but thanks).

The baby, much to my surprise, hasn’t kept me from blogging. Maybe it’s because I stay at home a lot more now, or because I have so much time in the evenings when my wife has taken an early night and I’m sitting up waiting for the wee man to have his last feed of the day.

• Bryan says:

Well done Fiona! I’m really happy for you. And thanks for rescuing me from my hiding place :-) Please thank David for me too.

• David says:

You WON!?

Huzzah!

• Aoife says:

Woo hoo! Fair play to you – you can put it beside your Slogadh award!

• Congratulations Fiona,

Am delighted for you

(must send some cabbage leaves to you in celebration!)

• fatmammycat says:

Well done Darling, well done indeed.

• fatmammycat says:

Odd, where did my comment go?

• Mike says:

Congratulations Fiona. Awards only enforce what we already know about you.

• The Mammy says:

My pride and my joy…..well done!!

• Fiona says:

@everyone: Youse are all lovely! Thanks so much – am still so giddy (read WRECKED) that I haven’t posted on anything el;se since, but thanks for your support, comments, and blogtastic presence here! Gather . . .

• redmum says:

Well done, well deserved and would have liked to have a pint with you, but thats the nature of the night, one minute the awards are on, the next it is 6 in the morning!

It was a great weekend and well done :)

• Declan McCann says:

Well done Fiona.
      A perfect end to a great week-end. You did us proud.

Uncle D

• Anita M says:

Well done you. Don’t forget the old friends now… Anita

• Anita M says:

ps… I was wondering who had OUR slogadh award… Anita

• panti atty says:

soo proud of you fiona go girl love always patti

• Eolai says:

I did congratulate you, didn’t I? I know I meant to. It was great to join the dots of faces and names.

• Twenty Major says:

Congrats on the award, really nice to see you and your other half.

• The Da says:

So proud and happy for you.

• Cahir says:

Here come the uncles !!!!!!!!!!!!

What great news!

I raise my glass to you, Fiona.

They tell me DNA is here to stay.

Cahir

• Medbh says:

Yay for your win, Fiona.
      It was lovely to meet you both.

• Huge, huge congratulations and how lovely you and your boyfriend both are. Great to meet you, finally.

Search Pursued by a Bear