• irishtimes.com - Posted: February 9, 2009 @ 10:57 am

BAFTA boredom

Fiona McCann

No surprises last night at the largely predictable BAFTA awards, which managed to make even Terry Gilliam and all his Monty Python output seem boring. Things perked up when it looked like Sharon Stoned might forget to finish her sentences, but no such luck. Nobody tripped, gushed, cried (except a possible sniffle from Goldie Hawn as she presented Best Supporting Actor, but then she’s always teetering on the teary-eyed) or made a fool of themselves, with good-time veteran Mickey Rourke’s expletives delivered so tamely that the bleeping seemed superfluous. Even the dresses were dull. Onanistic twaddle for the most part, which leads one to wonder why we have all become so mesmerised with this one professional realm that we are so glued to the screens when they hand out their sycophantic accolades. Bah. If that’s entertainment, I’m tuning in to the Annual Builders and Plumbers Awards – at least there’d be bottom on show. In the meantime, I’m taking recommendations for the Jameson Film Festival – what should I be booking?

• Quint says:

It was exceptionally dull and boring, yes, and very predictable. The ridiculously overrated ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ swept up and Kate Winslet got her obligatory award also. Yawn. All that ‘thank-you, you are all so wonderful, I would like to thank my goldfish for standing by me all these years, Danny you are such a wonderful director, I want your babies, blah, blah, blah etc’ gushing sycophancy gets so tiresome after a while. So false too, the film industry is full of petty jealousies and backstabbing. Ooh cynical. They got it right with the Screenplay award for the brilliant ‘In Bruges’ and the acting gong for Mickey Rourke, one of the only TRULY great actors around at the moment. Great speech too.

Recommendations for DIFF? I’m going to ‘Five Minutes of Heaven’ which is directed by the same guy that did the amazing ‘Downfall’, ‘Anvil! The story of Anvil’ a supposedly heartwarming documentary about an aging metal band still dreaming the dream (the trailer makes it look unmissable), Possibility of an Island directed by Michel Houellebecq of ‘Platform’/'Atomised’ fame who supposedly will be in attendance…only found out that British comedy genius Armando Ianucci will be attending his new film ‘In The Loop’ the other day but tickets sold out…meh.

• clom says:

i quite enjoyed danny boyles young fella roaring “i love you dad” but you’re spot on about everything else.

goldie hawn and sharon stone were both inspirational for illiterates everywhere.

I trust those responsible for the VT will never work in this industry again having demonstrably knocked the whole thing together after closing time on saturday night. The Gilliam segment being a particular highlight given it was two drafts of identical segments played one after the other. Oh dearie, dearie me.

• Quint says:

Yeah, Danny Boyle’s son standing up and shouting ‘I love you Dad!!!’ was the best bit by a long way. Woss said ‘What a great son’ and he was right.

• Annie says:

I only watched it to see Kate Winslet have another orgasm. She did get a bit breathless but managed to hold it together overall, disappointingly.

But yes, the “I love you Dad” bit was good.

• Fiona says:

Quint: I agree about Slumdog being overrated (not to mention Frost/Nixon – YAWN apart from Langella), and yes, Rourke’s speech was the best, but that ain’t saying a whole lot. Thanks for the DIFF recommendations. I have tickets for Il Divo and Flame & Citron already, but can’t go to Five Minutes of Heaven, which I really want to see, as it’s on the same day as the Blog Awards. Definitely going to try get tickets for Possibility of an Island, out of pure curiosity. Any thoughts on the other Irish contenders?

Clom: Had forgotten that amusing moment when Boyle’s son jumped up. And yeah, WTF with that Gilliam segment? Deja vu, big time.

• Sinéad says:

Dreary indeed. Haven’t seen Slumdog, but I detested the cheesy, formulaic book it was based on. The BAFTAs are always biased to ‘home’ talent.

And what was with the Gilliam repeat thing? Was it due to the time delay, because they anticipated Mickey Rourke’s swearing? I liked Ross’s response afterwards (“He’ll probably be banned from the BBC for three months” – the only vaguly risque thing he said all night).

“Even the dresses were boring”. I loved Thandie Newton’s vintage one…

• Fiona says:

Annie: Yes, Kate has obviously learned how to keep it together, alas.

Sinead: I agree, that was the only Ross moment that got a titter out of me. As for Thandie’s dress, I liked it in principle, but it made her boobs look weirdly long if you ask me. Not often one finds Ms Newton to be even vaguely disproportionate, so one couldn’t help but notice.

• clom says:

I reckon what happened was 2 VT people were working off two separate drafts of the segment and spliced them together to make the full 90 seconds not realising that both parts had an identical 30 seconds interspersed with slightly different bits of Brazil and Twelve Monkeys.

Oh, and Jeff Bridges offering us a great leap forward in the art of phoning it in.

• Quint says:

‘Oh, and Jeff Bridges offering us a great leap forward in the art of phoning it in’

The Dude is the laziest man in Los Angeles, which would put him in the running for laziest man worldwide, so what do you expect?

Search Pursued by a Bear