• irishtimes.com - Posted: January 12, 2009 @ 10:53 am

Fillum awards

Fiona McCann

First up this morning, Castleknock lady-killer Colin Farrell has won a Golden Globe for his turn in Martin McDonagh’s delightful In Bruges. So here’s the thing: I genuinely liked the film, enjoyed the script, and found Brendan Gleeson’s performance typically engaging, but let’s face it, he acted Mr Farrell off the screen. Still, Farrell’s quip on winning –  ”They must have done the counting in Florida” – went some way towards making up for it. Other winners and losers (it’s not often you get to call Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie a loser, so one naturally jumps at the chance) to be found here.

And while I’m on the subject of fillums, the IFTA nominees came out on Friday, with 32A, A Film With Me In It (containing a convincing recreation of the kind of bedsits familiar to those who went to college in the eighties and nineties, and which will no doubt be making a savage comeback now that we’re recessed again), The Escapist, Hunger and Kisses vying for best film. So who’s your money on, punters?

• Quint says:

Brendan Gleeson will act EVERYONE off the screen. The guy’s incredible.

• Medbh says:

I was annoyed by all the goatees.
      What, is it 1994 again?

• John O'Grady says:

Brendan Gleeson is a class act. Not much to say about his co-star.

• Fiona says:

Quint: He’s pretty talented, alright. Though some would argue that acting Sr Farrell off the screen ain’t that much of an achievement either . . .

Medbh: Didn’t notice the goatees, but then, I’ve long since stopped paying attention to the Farreller’s facial hair.

John O’Grady: I know he’s not the world’s greatest actor, but I kind of like him all the same. I know, embarrassing but true. I’ll get me coat. . .

• Quint says:

I actually watched ‘In Bruges’ for the first time last night. Fantastic film and I thought Farrell was excellent in it. He deserved the award. He held his own against brilliant performances from Gleeson and Fiennes who is hilariously nasty in it. A feel-good, ultra-violent, blacker than black comedy…

• I’ve heard very good things about Farrell, who seems like a genuinely decent bloke. When the Special Olympics were in Ireland a few years ago, loads of celebs turned up for the opening day. But Farreller kept going throughout the tournament after the cameras had long gone, turning up at loads of different events and cheering on the contestants.

Also, he’s a really funny comic actor. A well-deserved win!

• I was a bit confused about the win for In Bruges, I thought it was only alright… fair dues to Farrell though, and how annoying was Kate “sorry Angelina” Winslet!?

• Fiona says:

Penny Century: See, that’s the thing – he’s genuinely likeable, and delightfully unmediated. We can just agree to differ on his acting talent, I suppose.

Sexy Pedestrian: Yep, Kate really went to town – it was kind of funny to watch her forget Angelina Jolie, though. She must be the only person on the planet capable of doing so these days. I’m impressed, frankly.

• Chris says:

When I worked in the children’s hospital in Crumlin you’d see Colin Farrell in there the whole time, never with a camera crew and he was around the place for hours on end. And he was great in In Bruges…’In fairness, yisser f***in’ elephants’…thinking about that scene still makes me laugh…

• Annie says:

Loved the Sun’s headline: “Kate Winsit, loses it.”

‘GATHER’

Ugh.

• Fiona says:

Chris: Go on the Farreller – the more I hear about him, the more I like him, I have to say. He’s also hilarious.

Annie: Brill headline! And yeah, Gather. She even said it TWICE! Was fierce annoying.

Search Pursued by a Bear