• irishtimes.com - Posted: October 14, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

Martin McGuinness already in the driving seat?

Mary Minihan

Did you know that President Mary McAleese’s garda driver’s name is…Martin McGuinness!

It’s just one of those amusing coincidences that occur in politics every now and again. I imagine it might raise a smile or two at times, particularly when Mrs McAleese is heading North, and especially now with the Sinn Fein man is running for president.

I’ve often thought it must be weird to have the same name as a prominent person. There’s a nice feature on the subject by Mark O’Connell here http://bit.ly/g6BNCd in which he chats those who share names with Colin Farrell, Mary Harney and Graham Norton among others.

On a more serious note, you might remember that back in March the Government announced that former presidents (and former taoisigh) and will no longer be provided with around-the-clock official transport, although exceptions will be made on important State occasions.

• Ciaran says:

Has there been a more feeble comment so far on the campaign. I know a complete idiot who shares a name with Mary Minihan. No, I’m only making that up.

• mary says:

Really? I know of a man who shares your name who works for the European Commission, but I’m sure he’d be much too busy to send such a message ;-)

• Desmond FitzGerald says:

God help the poor person who shares a name with Mary Harney – of all the worst names to have that ranks well up there, possible third to Charles Haughey and Albert Ahern …

I of course have the most perfect name possible – no matter what time in history and whether its politics, sports, business or the arts there’s a Desmond FitzGerald to fit the bill!

• Cruton says:

“Which candidate is best poised to support job creation and address the issue of employment in Ireland?” Sorry Mary, but maybe you havent noticed throughout your journalistic career that the president of Ireland has absolutely NO ROLE IN THE CREATION OF EMPLOYMENT OR ANY OTHER ECONOMIC FUNCTION RELATED TO THE IRISH STATE, THE IRISH ECONOMY OR IRISH BUSINESS ABROAD. Sorry for shouting but it seemed necessary to communicate this fact to you. The Irish presidency is a purely ceremonial role and therefore this “straw poll” is absolute nonsense as none of the canditates can support job creation or address the issue of unemployment if they were elected. I await a public apology for this idiotic post!

• Mary Minihan says:

Hi Cruton, I assume you meant this post to be attached to the ‘Sean Gallagher tops exit poll” blog so I’ll attach it there.

• Kynos says:

Well, the ”Irish Presidency” (quotemarks will be used until you have an actual sovereign independent State worthy of a President) IS all about job creation. It’ll probably be the only new job someone in Ireland gets this year and God knows until when.