• irishtimes.com - Posted: August 5, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

Too Busy to Blog

Too busy to blog about Ivor Callely: if you want to read what Mary Minihan and myself have been writing in the paper about him, click here

• Desmond FitzGerald says:

What is there to blog about – it’s pretty simple really.

If Ivor was a TD on whose vote Fianna Fáil depended, like for example a person found to have been involved in tax evasion, then there’d be no case to answer as the party would do whatever it took to protect them.

But poor old Ivor is a mere Senator and expendable and even more so as he brought the cardinal rule of Fianna Fáil in the worst possible way. Firstly, he got caught allegedly doing wrong, secondly, having been caught he acted in such a way it drew his colleagues into the mess.

Now the public are wondering who else submits allegedly dodgy invoices and who checks them?

Then for Mary O’Rourke, of all people, to pontificate on him being kicked out – according to the latest figures she received more pension and expenses in 2009 that Ivor has taken in expense for the entire time he’s been a Senator, but of course she’s ‘entitled’ to €100k plus a pension that exceeds twice the average wage plus the same again in expenses at a time people are losing their homes and jobs and pensions and futures are being ruined.

• Hugh says:

I regard the comment by Desmond Fitzgerald made about Mary O’Rourke as irrelevant and nasty. There is no allegation made against Mary O’Rourke concerning her expenses. Ivor Callely has already been suspended for 20 days in connection with misrepresentation of expenses. Perhaps Mr Fitzgerald knows something we don’t about Mary O’Rourke. I am sure the Metropolitan Police in Canary Wharf will be only too delighted to entertain any complaint lodged.

• kynos says:

Too busy to blog about an uncomfortably (for FF) developing story Deaglán? Or is it that you’re up to the usual de mortuis nil nisi bonum? See it extends to the politically dead also.

• kynos says:

Or should I say, undead. He just won’t lie down our Ivor. Much as the FFamily would dearly wish him to. Hope he keeps the spotlight or should I say the Leigh light on them awhile longer.

• Kynos: I always thought of you as highly-intelligent and well-read but too darned lazy or distracted to assemble your thoughts in a coherent fashion. Now it seems you are too lazy or cheap to buy/read the daily edition of The Irish Times. Six Callely pieces with my byline on them were published in the last week or so, in the print edition and online, including two front-page stories and two analysis pieces. I worked 10-12 hour days on the Callely story.
      For all your faults, I never thought you were mean and nasty. So I will give you this one and only opportunity to withdraw your slur on my professional integrity.
      Herewith my Callely pieces that you didn’t bother your barney to read: http://www.irishtimes.com/search/index.html?rm=listresults&filter=datedesc&keywords=deaglan%20AND%20callely&x=21&y=10&start=0

• kynos says:

PPS congrats to Roisin Ingle on her sister’s recent marriage see I wouldn’t KNOW that if I didnt buy the hardcopy most Saturdays to read on Sunday?? I don’t even get past letter and opinion page on this site during the week. Some of us r 2bizzytohavetheluxuryof reading the daily hardcopy I’m a private sector worler not a public sector drone in the sweat of my face doth I eat my b…rashers.

• kynos says:

Feckit. There’s just a chance you ain’t winding me up and did in fact take offence even tho’ there was none intended and no grounds for taking any that I can see. But if you did it was not meant. OK?

• Des Canine says:

Deaglan, please forgive Kynos – his obsession with FF has clouded his reason. He might recover after the election. Personally, I’m getting a bit bored with the Ivor story.

It’s like watching a bull-fight (yes, I confess) – the bull is always slaughtered in the end. After you’ve seen it dozens of times it gets tedious.

I’m not surprised bull fighting is being banned in Catalonia.

• I don’t know what’s clouding Kynos’s coffee but I wish he would get rid of it and produce some coherent comments instead of the usual ramblings. There’s a good brain in there behind the befuddlement.

• paul m says:

(sung to the tune of flipper theme)

they call him Ivor, Ivor
      a master at hiding
      no other (former) TD… can blunder like Bertie

• Okay, folks, I’m off on holidays and this discussion is now closed. My thanks to all who showed a genuine interest. I intend to be back blogging in a few weeks’ time.