• irishtimes.com - Posted: December 21, 2009 @ 1:00 pm

Adams Interview

The whole country stopped what it was doing yesterday to listen to Tommie Gorman’s extraordinary interview with Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams where he named his father as a child abuser. If you are one of the few who missed it, click here.
    It is still to early to absorb the potential impact of this broadcast. At one level, it is a searing human tragedy.  The political fallout is another matter and that will clearly take time to work itself out. A lot of issues were raised which will be teased out over the coming days and weeks.

If you can’t access the RTE link, you can read a news report from today’s Irish Times if you click here.

• Red Biddy says:

When does the personal become Political? Or are the two indistinguishable when the personalities are in the public eye and the matter in the public domain? I’m inclined to think the wider issue is for the family to resolve and the legal matter to be dealt with by due process… In the meantime the same respect and space be given to Gerry Adams and his family while they try to assimilate the impact of these devastating revelations…So much for politics lite! And to be fair you did give us Gogo!

• Liam says:

I’m no fan of Gerry Adams and I dont like his politics but it was a very moving to listen to him yesterday.

• Joanna Tuffy says:

Surely this is a distraction from the real issue, which is did he do what he should have done when he became aware of the abuse of his neice?

• kynos says:

This is a very public and therefore unusual insight into a family wracked by trauma and my deepest respects and best wishes to Áine and the rest of the Adams family (with the obvious exception).

• Red Biddy says:

I’m not sure it is a distraction. I assume that’s what you mean Gerry Adams should have reported the matter to the police when he first became aware of the sexual abuse of his niece. With the perfect vision of hindsight I’m sure there are things we would/could all have done differently. Gerry Adams has already said he could have ‘handled things better’ and it would be easy to berate him for not doing so, but to what end? His niece is now older and presumably strong enough to ‘own’ this matter and take control of it herself, and has done so. Hopefully she will now receive the support she will need whilst the matter goes through the process of law and beyond. Whatever acts of omission Gerry Adams may be guilty of, I am not convinced this is a subject for political point-scoring but I’m sure that will not deter less-scrupulous opponents.

• Joanna Tuffy says:

Red Biddy,

I wouldn’t be for political point-scoring at all on this or generally. Before the interview with Gerry Adams when he revealed the information about his father my thoughts on the matter was that it was a matter for Sinn Fein and Gerry Adams to decide what was best for him to do in light of any mistakes he made if any at the time. And on that point when you are a political leader there is an added expectation that you will do the right thing when faced with dilemmas of this nature. Granted issues like this are not easy but nor were they for the bishops.

What bothers me is the releasing of a story immediately after the revelations from the UTV programme that has no relevance to the initial revelations. The later revelations of about Gerry Adam’s father is now the dominant story but has no relevance to whether he took the necessary steps at the time he became aware about the abuse of his niece or since. I wouldn’t rush to judge on that matter, but I would think it needs to be said that the story about Adams father seems to be muddying the water. And if no politician is prepared to say what I am saying that would not be very healthy democratically either.

• Pomme de Tayto says:

Sometimes I think Herod was right and they should all be strangled at birth or at least castrated before reaching sexual maturity. So much for ‘Families need Fathers’.

• GerryG says:

Thank God for Red Biddy and an ounce of common sense. Unlike Joanna I didn’t grow up in a perfect world where everyone did exactly the right thing at exactly the right moment.
      And I still haven’t found that world.
      Gerry Adams did say that his niece asked him not to go to the PSNI/RUC.
      I’m afraid Joanna this smells distinctly of point-scoring and both pomme de tayto and kynos offer a less than Christian contribution.
      A little more reflection next time you’re at Mass might help folks.
      Standing on the soapbox might make you feel taller, but it doesn’t help you see further.

• Joanna Tuffy says:

GerryG,

I didn’t grow up in a perfect world either and I know we all make mistakes, even us politicians. That wasn’t my point, but rather that questions should be asked and the waters should not be allowed to be muddied. Far from wanting to score political points my party is in partnership with Sinn Féin on the Council in my area and together the two parties with delivered a very progressive budget in difficult times. I would expect that there are those in Sinn Féin who would agree with what I wrote above.

• walt kelly says:

‘We have met the enemy and he is us’

-Pogo possum

• walt kelly says:

‘We have met the enemy and he is us’

• Pomme de Pratai says:

Joanna…Being from across the (little) pond I didn’t know you were a Politician, altho’ I did think you were rather restrained for a blogger! Still we all have our Cross to bear I suppose…and GG (I’ve had to change my name for legal reasons, see elsewhere) I have examined my conscience (sp?) and found it wanting…Still, I think there’s an element of truth in what was said, albeit facetiously, and so must many others given the lack of response unless Deaglan’s edited them out for reasons of law, taste or decency…Now I’m going to visit my father for what will probably be his last Christmas…So have fun y’all….

• kynos says:

Gerryg you’re absolutely right and I felt bad afterwards thinking about it. But Liam Adams, despite being an innocent man (until proven otherwise, if ever), is on the run from the justice system in NI, hiding down here in the South. Now, I know some things about the NI justice system. One is that it’s broken. Highly flawed, criticised by respected NGOs for such things as the dumping of the presumption of innocence in certain scheduled offences under the offences against the persons acts, martial law as they are, and remain in effect. Juryless courts – an aberration to the Magna Carta and our tradition of common law – are common there. Policemen lie, notoriously, RUC/PSNI personnel lie on the Holy Bible, under oath, on a frequent basis in NI. Perhaps that is changing, but leopards and spots. The NI legal and justice system is truly Der Prozess, like something Josef K would be familiar with. But that said, if he’s a man at all, Liam Adams will return and give his family some peace and some closure. Give himself it also.

• kynos says:

Hope you and your dad enjoyed your Christmas apple of the potato hope it’s been a memorable one rgds

• Pomme de Pratai says:

Memorable, definitely, but more bizarre surreal and tragic than enjoyable…It’s difficult to believe that the skeletal dependent figure is my formerly vibrantly witty, argumentative, athletic, vital father… but thank you for your kind thought Kynos…Enjoy the rest of your Christmas…

• kynos says:

Well God bless you and your dad Pomme de Pratai what you said came into my head only as I was walking back from the shops to my kids house how lucky we are the most of us things like your honest expressions serve to bring that home this time of year especially. It’s very beautiful outside right now tonight the snow is falling on the living and the dead in the West Midlands as it does everywhere it falls. We’re a lot like the snow. Beautiful while we last and in memory and photograph thereafter. Hope you and your Dad have many good memories of this year may the next be merciful to you.