• irishtimes.com - Posted: May 21, 2009 @ 4:00 pm

Poster Dan

Harry McGee

dan-boyle1.jpg

I wrote a piece about Dan Boyle for this morning’s paper (it’s here).

The intro is all about the contrast between poster and reality. Well here’ sthe visual evidence!

• Liam says:

I used to see John Gormley on his bike in the past as least he was walking the walk as it were, Dan Boyle on the other hand just doesnt fit my image of a Green, he neither looks like a D4 luvvie, nor an open-toe sandal-wearing hippy.

• Suzy says:

Wow that’s definitely a haircut

• An Fear Bolg says:

Real Dan is Real Dan; Poster Dan looks like Real Dan with a FF makeover.

I’m sure that sentence could be a lot wittier, I know.

• Dan Sullivan says:

I had contacted the Green Party at the time I saw the glasses asking was he seriously going with those glasses and was advised contact the man himself.

I was thinking the image reminded me of someone and it only now hits me who. It’s Greg Proops from Whose Line Is It Anyway.

• Mike says:

I think it’s more Drew Carey.

Interesting as he is not on the front bench that the Greens use him to snipe at FF on issues when they need to – the Green ministers cannot be seen to be saying some of what he states but it is obviously all strategic! I suppose it’s just politics…..

• An Fear Bolg says:

BTW has anyone anywhere heard Dan Boyle say anything about the European Union or the European Parliament during this campaign?

• Steve Rawson says:

A Tale of Two Photos
      This blog photo is a great example of how digital media can add value to the traditional one – it really brings the Poster Dan/Real Dan story alive. It also highlights the fine line between the authentic and the airbrush …

On the other hand, in the printed version Daragh McSweeney’s photo brings to life the story on the page.

The photo depicts Dan Boyle on his mobile phone – could it be to a political correspondent or to the press office – with his back turned away from his constituents.

The photo epitomises one of the key pitfalls for all politicians – losing touch with ordinary people.

• Eoin says:

The poster image looks like he has a fake dan, I mean tan.

• Phil says:

What annoys me about this is twofold:

1: Doesn’t look like Senator Boyle;

2: Come on, give us a smile.

• Ewan Duffy says:

I saw the posters in Waterford last weekend and think they do him no favours. You could almost imagine him in a cassock with a cane in his hand. BTW – he is a distant cousin of mine.