11 things I learned this weekend
(1) Jockette Jessica Kurten is not a happy camper when it comes to the media pointing out that her horse failed a dope test. (2) The Rolling Stones played in a big field in Co Meath and everyone went home …
(2) The Rolling Stones played in a big field in Co Meath and everyone went home happy. Bad news for Joe and his researchers, though we hear they might have a story if they knew where to go looking for it.
(3) A lot of hurling commentators are still fuming that Waterford got knocked out of this year’s championship by Limerick. Apparently, the Deises were set to be this year’s “people’s champions” until the lads from the other side of the Carnahalla bridge went into action. The “people’s champions”? Certainly not the people round here who never warmed to Waterford’s badge-kissing brand of hurling. They got beaten by a better team. Get over it. At least that “Dan the Man” numptiedom is over till next summer.
(4) The new album from Menomena is so darn hot.
(5) Fernando Torres is going to have a great season – and Chelsea will always benefit from dodgy referees.
(6) Nik Cohn knew his beat. The Derry-born writer’s “Ball the Wall” collection contains one must-read pop culture zinger after another.
(7) Bill Deedes RIP
(10) Malahide is a lovely place to be when the sun shines, as it did for a couple of hours yesterday.
(11) The Some Days Never End fest sounds – and looks – better and better. More news soon. Is that enough of a tease for you?