• irishtimes.com - Posted: June 30, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

What is in your 5-car Lotto garage?

Michael McAleer

It is the pub chat we all love to do. You’ve won the Euro Millions lottery and money is no object. And now it is time to go car shopping. You can have five cars. But what are they? I get asked this quite a bit and it changes from week to week, but I will give you this week’s five and I’d love to hear yours.

1) BMW E30 M3

Perhaps the cheapest car here, you might ‘only’ pay €40,000 for a totally mint Sport Evo 3 but you can pay much less for a standard enough car. I love this because it is one of the most pure sports cars ever made.  Its high-revving four-cylinder engine and distinctive styling treatment made it a winner with enthusiasts the world over. A convertible arrived in 1988, broadening the appeal of this niche machine. Initial production was to be limited to 5000 vehicles, but throughout various model updates almost 18,000 were sold by the time production ceased in 1991.

BMW E30 M3

2) Porsche 911 Carrera RS

Another old car, the Carrera RS would be the 911 I’d have in the garage. Sold been 1973 and 1974 it is regarded by many Porsche-nuts as one of the greatest classic 911s of all time.

Porsche 911 Carrera RS

3)Land Rover Range Rover

If I had to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century then I think it is impossible not to have a garage without one of these in it. It would be the perfect everyday car and I’d need it to tow the old ones now and again.

Land Rover Range Rover

4) Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Another Porsche. This one a little bit more modern. This race track / road car mix is perfect if you want to nip off to a track.

Porsche 911 GT3 RS

5) Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera

Because Lamborghinis still appeal to the 5-year old in me. This light version has a V10, 570hp and is lightweight too.

Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggara

• Aoibhinn Twomey says:

1955 Austin Healy 300 or 100M,
      Range Rover (apologies environment, cyclists and tree-huggers!),
      Aston Martin DB9 or Jaguar XK convertible,
      Land Rover Defender, (irresistible ruggish charm, something that makes you feel like you’re driving)
      Audi R8 (very ladish but you gotta love it)
      BMW 530 D Touring (funky, practical, classy)

• Kyle Fortune says:

McLaren F1, Subaru Impreza RB5 (instead of a fragile Lancia Delta Integrale), Porsche 911 GT3 RS, Land Rover Discovery 4 and my 205 GTI (1.6).

Five’s not enough though…

• Kilian Doyle says:

My top five.

1 BMW E30 Sport Evo.

The ultimate sports car. High-revving four pot wrapped up in classic 1980s gangster styling. Tasty.

2 BMW M5 Touring.

My daily driver in a dream world. Enough room in the back to cart around your whole family. And a fridge. At 200mph.

3 Citroen DS.

Simply because my Dad had one as a kid in the 1970s. Being driven around in the back of it made me feel like a seven-year-old filmstar.

4 Hennessy Venom GT.

A Lotus Elise with 725bhp? Do I really need to explain?

5 Ferrari 250 GTO

I’m a bit torn on this. Every dream garage has to have a classic Italian supercar. I considered the Lamborghini Miura, the Maserati Ghibli. Even the Alfa Romeo Montreal. But I opted for the 250 GTO, because it’s possibly the sexiest car ever made. Having one of these guaranteed Sophia Loren would fall head over heels in love with you.

• cold mike says:

Aston Martin DBS V8 (early quad headlight era) pure class really and the *cough* affordable AM
      Monteverdi 375S – Switzerland, which at an institutional level hates cars was the home to this 1970s beast
      Citroen CX GTI Turbo 2
      Audi V8 (the almost forgotten late 80s/90s executive barge) just cos its unloved.
      Mercedes Benz W116 450 SEL 6.9 when I take power in a coup this will be my transport to Kildare Street

As you can tell the rest of the win would have to go on drilling for light grade oil.

• Kynos says:

Defnitely a V8 Vantage. Probably a TR6. A Veyron. Just for pig-iron. Anything Audi’ve done pretty much. Brabus or AMG merc. Or else a GTO, Corvette, Mustang, Shelby 350GT, Cosworth anything. Either/and/or.

• Kynos says:

Love the Miura. The sound of those thrashing chains.

• Mahoney says:

Mercedes SLS AMG Gullwing
      Porsche 959
      1989 BMW M635 csi Alpina Highline, Black over silver
      Range Rover Overfinch
      Mercedes 450 SEL W116

• Liam says:

Paddy’s selection is a bit modern day medallion man for my taste ;-)

I’d go with more classic types and I’d probably need a full time mechanic to keep them on the road

Mercedes 300SL (gull wing)
      E-Type Jag
      Austin Healy
      Volvo 1800
      and a boring Merc 500 as a run around

• conor says:

Lada Niva – off road fun
      Ford Scorpio (no seriously) – its beyond quirky, for motorways
      SAAB 93 Convertible (post 2002) – for hols or good weather
      Jeep Cherokee (pre 2002) – for everyday use
      Caterham Super 7 – for spirited driving

actually looking at this list, its quite achievable!

• rubyrubes says:

Fantasising about Sophia Loren probably qualifies as gerontophilia…and the auto ultimo choices of the blokey kind tend to confirm the stereotype of the car as the ultimate phallic symbol…

• alan says:

My 5 Car List:

1 – Merc S Class S500L current version – for everyday driving
      2 – Aerial Atom Supercharged Version – for track days
      3 – Aston Martin DBS/V12 Vantage – for the cross Europe trek
      4 – 1970′s Beetle completely reworked to my taste with Porsche engine and running gear (always loved those cars)
      5 – Audi RS6 Avant for ferrying the kids to football training and matches.
      all pretty boring to some maybe but i think i would have a car for every occasion

• Gearoid says:

1) Land Rover Series 1
      2) Land Rover Defender
      3) BMW 635 (1980s)
      4) BMW 2002 (convertible)
      5) Lancia Delta

• mark hannon - heidelberg - germany says:

range rover. just because i could afford it.
      audi A6 250hp Avant. best estate car going.
      mazda MX5. great fun and it won´t be scratched by jealous passers-by!
      VW Multivan. best mpv for long journeys with the kids. you can get it with everything built in!!!
      BMW 6 series.

• madrarua says:

1. Citroen DS 23
      2. Ferrari Daytona
      3. Citroen C6
      4. Porsche 959
      5. Landrover Defender.

• Brendan says:

Mercedes-Benz SL500 (before the recent facelift!) for everyday fun;
      Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera for track- driving mayhem;
      Jaguar Daimler Super-Eight for being driven to the Oscars;
      Range Rover to carry people about in class; and,

Jaguar XJ220 to fulfill boyhood dreams….

• Autobann says:

1 Ferrari GTO 250
      2 Ferrari P4/5
      3 Alpina M5
      4 Bowler Wildcat/Ducati 999
      5 AMG G Wagon

• Bourker says:

1. Audi R8 V10 – value-for-money Lamborghini

2. Ferrari 250 GTO California – (1961)

3. Benz SLS AMG

4. Porsche Carrera GT

5. Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 Super Veloce – the R8 doesn’t have this V12

• Fergal says:

1. Porsche Carrera GT – best ever sounding engine in a road car

2. Ferrari 288 GTO – (best looking Ferrari and) 2nd best looking car ever (beaten only by a 3rd Gen Lincoln Continental 4-door convertible?)

3. McLaren F1 LM – the ultimate track-day car?

4. Mercedes-Benz W100 600 Grosser Pullman – utterly timeless and despite the list of infamous previous owners, universally admired (and none of the baggage of a Roller)

5. Maybach Excelero – for those trips to the shops!

Search Motors